PreSonus ASIO Driver Settings Change on Cakewalk Startup <SOLVED>

garry

I am using a PreSonus Firestudio Mobile audio interface on Win10 with ASIO drivers. Never had any issues with it.

I just noticed (not sure if it's related to the 2019.09 update or not) that when I start Cakewalk it changes my driver sampling rate to 96K. I've never used 96K for anything.  

Here is a screenshot of the PreSonus control panel applet before starting Cakewalk:

image.png.bfbe0e6b4fc31d9124044a848ccf5c52.png

And here is a screenshot immediately after starting Cakewalk (while the Start screen is still displayed):

image.png.83b0a1add350453f59754973ad0d9abc.png

If I then load a project, it plays (roughly) twice as fast as it should because the project is 44.1K audio and the driver is set to 96K.

If I then close Cakewalk, and use the PreSonus control panel to set the driver back to 44.1K, re-starting Cakewalk does NOT set the sampling rate to 96K. It seems as though this only happens on the first launch of Cakewalk after a reboot. 

Weird... And annoying. Anyone have a clue on how to resolve this?

Thanks!

Garry

Edited by garry

So I renamed AUD.INI and re-ran the Audio setup wizard and it created a new one with a default sample rate of 44100

Note that I'm not opening any project at this point. The sample rate in the driver is being changed just by starting Cakewalk and have it sitting at the Start screen.

[Wave]
DefaultSampleRate=44100

image.png.07ad65083d919b07e8ae1ab8cf582890.png

image.png.df746f0c502b9ef74eef7eff725d4d75.png

Yet my PreSonus Control Panel still shows:

image.png.836af6662acdca77b58d783584f80380.png

But apparently if I open the Driver Settings window, click the "ASIO Panel..." button (nothing happens), and then hit OK, it will change the driver settings back to normal...

Note that I am able to run Sound Forge Pro 11 and Ozone 8 without them changing the sample rate in the PreSonus Universal Control (latest release of software which is 2 years old as the device has been discontinued for quite a while now).

Edited by garry

1 hour ago, garry said:

Note that I'm not opening any project at this point.

Thanks for the extra information. When Cakewalk starts up it goes through a small validation process for all drivers on the system to build the list of available devices.
As part of this process it sets the sample rate of each driver to the SAME sample rate that the driver reports to us.
i.e. one of the profiling steps is:

ASIOGetSampleRate
ASIOSetSampleRate (same value)

The only way I can see this process setting the sample rate of the driver to something else is:

1. You have another driver that references the same PreSonus ASIO device that is internally reporting 96K and setting the presonus indirectly to 96K.
Do you have the Steinberg generic audio driver or something else like that installed? If so that could be the cause.

2. The presonus driver itself is reporting its sample rate as 96K to Cakewalk even though its not set to 96K. That would cause us to call ASIOSetSampleRate to 96K. I would consider this to be a bug in the presonus driver.

I don't have this device to test so I can only speculate to the cause. We can contact presonus if you are unable to get any information from their support on this matter.

I deleted the ASIO drivers for my Helix LT since I never use it for routing audio and there was no change. I only use the Editor on my studio PC. That device was disabled in Windows and didn't show up in Cakewalk after profiling my devices.

Then I recalled that I had installed the drivers for my Behringer XR18 when I first got it earlier this summer and was updating software, firmware, etc. That was the only time it was connected to the studio PC as I have since been using a spare laptop to control it and record practices. But the ASIO driver was still on my system, so I uninstalled it and things are working normally again. 

This odd behavior is a very recent change (Windows update? Helix update? Other?). Can't explain it. Time to move on. Thanks for looking into it Noel!

• garry changed the title to PreSonus ASIO Driver Settings Change on Cakewalk Startup <SOLVED>

10 hours ago, garry said:

Then I recalled that I had installed the drivers for my Behringer XR18 ....... the ASIO driver was still on my system, so I uninstalled it and things are working normally again. 

This was literally the first thing I suggested O.o 

19 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Have you ever had any other devices on this PC (installed drivers, ASIO4ALL) ? If so I would remove them if they are not being used