New parallel compression bus?

ron murphy

I noticed that there's a parallel compression bus on my projects now. Is this something new? How do i recreate this on my old songs? I was told that cakewalk didn't have this but I for sure didn't make it cause I don't know how. Maybe it's from the EZ drummer? 

Edited by ron murphy

Sounds like you've started using a project template from a 3rd party. All buses that output to Master are effectively in parallel with the direct signals from the Outputs of tracks that have a Send to that bus. A parallel compression bus is just a bus with a compressor on it. As such, parallel compression has always been possible in SONAR/CbB. Some drum synths have built-in parallel compression, but a plugin is not going to add a bus to a project.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I think so. There's a drum bus with a send to the parallel compression bus but the parallel compression bus doesn't have a compressor already in use. I thought it did cause when I clicked on the send it made the drums louder but that was just a result of having 2 drum tracks playing right? There's a lot of confusion when you first learn this stuff. 

Yes, not two 'tracks' per se, but two paths. If a bus that you send to (from a track or another bus) at 0dB (i.e. same as the output volume) has no FX on it, and the Gain/Volume on the bus are at unity, you're effectively creating a parallel copy of the signal that will  double the amplitude of the sum (+6dB) on the Master.

Edited by David Baay