Keyboard bindings

Leighton Cooper

Question

I am working through a tutorial for Cakewalk 8.5 and it seems as if the Options menu was removed and I can't find many of the options in Cakewalk.  Where are the keyboard bindings customization options also you were allowed to use your controller for editing as well.  I don't see that any more.  What other features  were taken out never to return?  I can't find the general options tab at all.  Where is that or what happened?  Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

SONAR 8.5 tutorials are a little too old. A complete UI overhaul including setup screens happened with the X series not to mention almost 10 years of updates.

A comprehensive X2 series is freely available on Youtube

and there are plenty of X series tutorials on the old Cakewalk site (actually these videos are all on their Youtube site). For more check out the Tutorial section of this forum.

As recommended by scook, videos using the Sonar X series (and later) might decrease the steepness of the learning curve. As recommended by JoseC, look in Preference ("P" = shortcut/reserved key binding).  Let me add: the categories and subcategories of preferences vary--e.g., without a project open, basic, advanced.

The images below are too small, but you should be able to get the idea--Sonar 8.5, Cakewalk basic with no project loaded, Cakewalk advanced with no project loaded, Cakewalk advanced with a project loaded.

UPDATE: Below is the Options menu from Sonar 8.5.  Other images showing Preferences from the current Cakewalk were deleted because they were too small to be useful.  Please see the follow-up post which has more readable sample screenshots from Preferences as seen (1) without a project loaded (basic and advanced) and (2) with a project loaded (advanced).

Hope this helps (regardless of which tutorial(s) you look at).

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to delete unreadable screen shots (see later post with readable screen shots)

12 hours ago, Leighton Cooper said:

What other features  were taken out never to return?

The glass isn't 1/2 full; you now get 2 cases of 12 full bottles--too much to drink in one sitting! 😉

Seriously, though, please note that Keyboard Shortcuts are under Advanced Preferences ("P") both with and without a project loaded. Hope this helps.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png.203913d9a44a13591992d65b868c9cc6.png

image.png.8b5ebb737cac5472a49e53e6d710aeaf.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to add larger screen shots of Preferences (Basic, Advanced, Advanced with a project opened)

OK I have really been having a lot of success with discovering all the 8.5 features in Band Lab For example on the process menu it listed bounce to clip and bounce to track.  Cakewalk BL split the items into seperate menus  Tracks and Clips, but I've found  everything from 8.5.  The only thing I see as missing is the Audio FX sounds.  But I have learned about lots of stuff, I didn't even know was in Cakewalk.   Also I have been writing process involved names for my tracks.  Is there a way to share my excercises?  Somebody may find them useful.  Thanks for the replys. 

Thank you everyone.  I was able to get the tutorials to keep working while in Sonar by using the MME drivers and unchecking the ASIO4All in case the MME's have disappeared from your system.   Still haven't tried the WDM  what can they do that these 2 modes don't.   The purpose is that this allow you to use other programs, such as your streaming service, or youtube video's and try things out on Cakewalk as you listen.  But on my system the MME's allowed me to do that.  The Asio4all  didn't.   Thanks for the links to the video's.  They are very helpful