Sarabande

David Sprouse

This is a sarabande written for solo guitar that I arr. for five brass instruments.  I like it because it shows how inventive poulenc is with such a limited harmonic palette.  It's only 5 or six notes total, but shows remarkable invention. :D

https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/sarabande-poulenc

Edited by David Sprouse
  • Like 1

Hidden can you give me a couple things in this piece as recorded that would be impossible for a real brass player to replicate?  I'm not an expert at all on orchestral instruments and sometimes write impossible  things.  Thank you so much for listening.

Douglas, long time no see!  Thanks for taking the time to listen to this.

Edited by David Sprouse

3 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Hidden can you give me a couple things in this piece as recorded that would be impossible for a real brass player to replicate?  I'm not an expert at all on orchestral instruments and sometimes write impossible  things.  Thank you so much for listening.

I would just think in terms of breathing, phrasing & dynamics. Try sliding notes of different instruments or tracks, or lines  a few ticks +/-. Same with velocities or using expression wheel.  Weave lines together until they blend naturally. This can help stop that synthy sound  when notes are played together all at once, at the same time & at the same velocities.

11 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

As a guitar player it’s really hard for me to get wind and brass “right”. Thanks to Hidden for the tips. And thanks to David, interesting piece and approach. These are generally “classical” guitar pieces?

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is a classical guitar piece by Francis Poulenc.  It's nowhere near the greatness of de Falla's venture into guitar writing, but I like it . I took a lot of liberty with timing.  Thanks for listening and thank you hidden for the advice.

David

The horns sound really good, like the real thing to my ears. I thought you got the dynamics and expressiveness down. Hard to do with brass (I've tried)

Well I don't understand how the piece is inventive but I'm just the listener. If I were the composer and really into classical I'd likely appreciate all the nuances. Wondering how it would sound as a guitar solo which you say it was originally.

You're probably aware of websites where you can download public domain classical mid files. Here's one I've used:
kunstderfuge.com