Advice | Hybrid Drives For Sample Library Storage

As I am seemingly finding the number of sample libraries growing my storage space is shrinking. I see that SSD prices are coming down and probably will continue to do so; my question is are Hybrid Hard-drive/SSDs viable as well as the cost per gigabyte seems to be pretty reasonable. Just wondering what others might have experienced using this type of drive?

Thanks so much!

Hybrid drives work by having a very small SSD inside which holds copies of the most used files.

On my old laptop, I originally swapped to a hybrid drive before going full SSD.  As an OS drive, I found the speed increase from HDD to hybrid far more obvious than from hybrid to SSD - in other words, it was almost as fast as an SSD for most things.

The only drawback, was when I did a Windows update, sometimes it would take up to a day or two for it to catch up and replace its "most used files" cache - obviously depending on what was updated (i.e. sometimes it was fine).

As the cost in most cases is pretty similar to a standard drive, it's really a no-brainer, but just be aware that on occasions it'll revert back to normal HDD speed every now and then as the cache changes.

• Thanks 1