Light Up the Dark

RexRed

Excellent number.  It really builds and conveys emotion not only through the vocals but with that very nice lead guitar work.  Great arrangement and performance.  The mix sounds very professional and the vocals are terrific! Nice one!!  Oh ya, that little noise at the end  ----- cool!

Thank you EmeraldSoul for your very helpful critique, if you play the song again linked at the top you will hear the edited, replaced version.

Your suggestion to turn down the guitar during the vocal sections was exactly what I was searching for and could not quite put my finger on it. My myopic view was too close to the mix and I also think the snare was too muffled and low, I also adjusted that. There was definitely banding going on between the main guitar and the vocals.

Your tip helped me realize the guitar was mostly an effect and not necessarily a backing instrument for the whole song.  It is nice you have a really good sense of the mix and are not afraid to speak up and give a solid critique.

Hey Freddy J,  thanks for the compliment on my vocal performance and the mix. Some of the tracks I purchased from Ueberschall and some of them I made myself. The little sound at the end is one of the arps from Rapture.  

Thanks Noynekker, for the compliment on the songcraft, it was a bit of a challenge getting the right build from the various tracks. There is a very deep message and it can be interpreted in several ways. To me it is a song about a person who hides their love and who they are, a gay person, who needs to come out into the light and freely be who they are.

I am sure it can be interpreted in other ways but that was the thread and emotion that I used to write and create the song.

I was inspired by the thought of a rose sitting in a vase on a table in a totally dark room; its beauty unseen until it is lit by a well attenuated and focused light...

I like to think my music and creative content can be that light to inspire people to greater achievements in their life.

Best regards to you all!

RR

Edited by RexRed

Now the tune and picture sync😎 Modern country, I hear this on the radio, no doubt about it. Your guitar playing has the one thing you can’t teach; touch. We can all play “notes”, learn scales, modes, etc. But, to my ear at least, it’s touch. There are players that can hit one note and you just know; dude’s got “it”! (or dudette). Glad I came in on “Red Ogre”, you’re versatile, and I think that’s indispensable in today’s music biz. 

Tom

Hey Rex.

Wow!!!!

Your production is really great.The mix is very very well done.All the instruments sits in the mix correctly.The vocals are good.(Are you the singer??).The master sound good,Maybe a little bit more of bass can improve the sound,but is really good anyway.
Really cool.

Thank you all for the great comments and tips. Yes, that is me singing FJ Lamela, and I hear what you mean about the bass too, it would warm up the bottom end and balance the song more. Excellent tip! I will post the bass enhanced version and leave a message here soon. AMiller I will bring up the drums more also. Thanks for the the nice compliments awesome Cakewalk peeps! For more of my art please visit http://rexred.com :) 

Edited by RexRed
and extra "s"

Okay, the bass and drums have been turned up quite a bit, I took them out of the side chain so the vocals would not be turning them down. They really should not interfere with the vocal that much. The drums are short jabs and the bass quite low (for the most part). I trust you guys and I like the changes you suggested.

Let me know if I went too far even if only in spots I am willing to turn the drums or bass up or down in sections, I have envelopes on the busses and can tweak any section even minutely if needed to make it right.

Best to you all and thanks for caring about my mixes!!! 💗

Hi,

I like the song, your vocal and the mix.  Reading through the thread I see some suggestions were made and followed.  I think the mix is right about where it should be.   I didn't hear anything that I thought needed changing.  The frequency balance, panning and dynamics sound pretty good to my ears.

Thanks for taking time to give your thoughts on the the lyrics.  The visual aid of a rose sitting in the dark helps me understand where you're wanting the song to go.

• 2 weeks later...