2019.09 Update User Folder Statement Questions

Jim Fogle

Question

2019.09 updated documentation and online help include the following information statement:

Note: Updated factory lenses and Help Module content are now copied to the user folder during installation.

What is the default path to the user folder?  What other content does the user folder contain?  Is the user folder initially created by Cakewalk by BandLab or Windows?  In other words is the user folder unique to CbB or is it something inherent in every installation of Windows?

Clipboard18

8 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, scook said:

%appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core

Steve,

Thanks for getting me onto the right track.

My computer operating system is 64 bit, Windows 7 Home. 

On this computer I first navigated to: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core.  I found a folder shortcut labeled, "Cakewalk User Data".

Clipboard20

Clicking on the shortcut directed me to: C:\Users\Dell\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core.

Clipboard19

Hopefully this information will help another user in the future.

And it seems there are also these files in "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core".

I don't know which ones are used in Cakewalk actually. Does anyone know?
Does this mean it was changed from ProgramData to Users folder?

40 minutes ago, HIBI said:

And it seems there are also these files in "C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core".

I don't know which ones are used in Cakewalk actually. Does anyone know?
Does this mean it was changed from ProgramData to Users folder?

From what I remember from playing with lenses, in 2019-07, the user created lenses were in the User folder and the factory lenses were in the Factory folder.  I am not sure about pre-Bandlab folders as I didn't play with lenses before. I believe starting with 2019-09, the factory lenses are now copied  into the User folder during installation. Maybe that's so (1) users can tweak the factory lens copies without messing up the official factory lenses in their own factory folder and so (2)  the updated factory lenses are in both the factory lens folder and the user folder.

Just tested this by loading the Advance Lens and re-saving it.  YUP: what scook said (as I was pasting in the screen shot).

image.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to try to make the screen shot visible
  • Thanks 1

Lenses were introduced with the SONAR Home Studio based on SONAR 2015. Cakewalk added Lenses to SHS because they dropped screensets from the product and wanted to provide a way to modify the layout. Lenses were added to the rest of the SONAR line after the release of SHS.

The user directory layout has been similar for all Cakewalk DAWs for years.

• Thanks 2