BandLab audio driver error message

CDK

Hi,

I have 2 questions.

1) Why am I getting this error message all of a sudden (see attached screenshot)? I get it with both BandLab and SONAR Platinum.

2) Can I safely uninstall SONAR Platinum from my computer now I have BandLab running? Will I be losing anything by doing that? I'm mainly wanting to free up some hard drive space.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2019-10-05 12.10.51.png

1) Can you do a bigger screenshot? Either my eyes are tiny or that picture is. The magnifying glass was a lie. Try using Imgur or something? Snip tool?

2) Not if you don't want to lose things that are licensed to Sonar and not Bandlab. Which can be numerous depending on what version of Sonar you last had. Personally I leave my Sonar Platinum installed because it gives me access to all the stuff that comes with Platinum, in Bandlab's Cakewalk. It would not be the case otherwise. You can try and see for yourself but as far as licensing goes don't expect a lot of the rights you got with Sonar to have transfered over to CbBL. BL didn't purchase Sonar plus all the third party stuff you got when Sonar was Sonar.

Edited by Weekend Astronaut

1) Larger screenshot attached! It's becoming very frustrating, as I never know whether I'm going to get this message or not. A restart usually fixes things but ain't nobody got time to be doing THAT every 5 minutes.

2) Thanks for the info, that's good to know.

Screenshot 2019-10-05 12.10.51.png

In addition, if I go to Edit | Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording when this error message appears, my audio interface isn't even listed there. It just disappears sometimes, well lately anyway.

I have the latest drivers installed so no idea what's going on.

Edited by CDK

I had this error after a corruption of my MOTU driver.   I had an issue with selecting my MOTU and deleted a "generic driver".  Deleting the generic driver corrupted the MOTU driver.   I had to uninstall the MOTU device and driver, restart Windows 10 and then do a complete new install of the MOTU driver and support software.  Then Cakewalk detected the MOTU again.

See my other forum thread on the problem.

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

What caused the "corruption of my MOTU driver"? That would be my target

In my case uninstalling the Steinberg generic driver and associated registry entries (I assume as that is what I did).  Device Manager showed it as working OK and the MOTU CueMixFX detected the MOTU but neither Cakewalk or Studio One 4.5 detected it until it was uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled.

13 hours ago, Jack Stoner said:

I had this error after a corruption of my MOTU driver.   I had an issue with selecting my MOTU and deleted a "generic driver".  Deleting the generic driver corrupted the MOTU driver.   I had to uninstall the MOTU device and driver, restart Windows 10 and then do a complete new install of the MOTU driver and support software.  Then Cakewalk detected the MOTU again.

See my other forum thread on the problem.

I've removed the driver and reinstalled it. I've unplugged all my USB cables and re-plugged them (which solved the problem for a few hours), I've updated Windows and I've restarted 6,000 times and just now the same error message just popped up out of nowhere. This is driving me crazy and interrupting my workflow.

I've contacted BandLab and Roland support but I'm not expecting to hear from them for a few days. Any other ideas?

Have you tried a different USB port for the Roland.  If you are using a rear port, try a front port (if you are using a desktop).  DO NOT use a USB hub.  Also try a different USB cable.

Also when uninstalling, remove both the device and driver then REBOOT the PC (don't skip this step).  After Windows restarts do a new install.

1 minute ago, Jack Stoner said:

Have you tried a different USB port for the Roland.  If you are using a rear port, try a front port (if you are using a desktop).  DO NOT use a USB hub.  Also try a different USB cable.

Also when uninstalling, remove both the device and driver then REBOOT the PC (don't skip this step).  After Windows restarts do a new install.

Yep, done all that but the problem remains. It’s worked fine for a couple of years but now this. I don’t get it.

25 minutes ago, Jack Stoner said:

Did you recently install anything or remove anything?  Or even update anything? 

What version of Win 10 are you on? (1903?)

I've updated Windows to the latest, v1903. I've run CCleaner a couple of times and removed some duplicate files from my system drive. Can't think of anything else though?

3 hours ago, CDK said:

I've updated Windows to the latest, v1903. I've run CCleaner a couple of times and removed some duplicate files from my system drive. Can't think of anything else though?

CCleaner is mostly OK (I use an old version) but if not careful it can cause problems.  I don't delete duplicate files as there is a possibility that different programs installed the files and if deleted potential for a problem.  Same way with Registry scanners/cleaners, etc., avoid them like the plague.  Revo  Uninstaller Pro will scan Registry for left over items on an uninstall and I've never had a problem with what Registry items it flags for uninstall.

Edited by Jack Stoner

Recently (as of last night actually), I had updated the drivers for my FocusRite interface.  Crackling, poor performance, etc. is what entailed.  It took me a little bit to figure out what was going on (never mind that I was imbibing 😀.

Anyway, I wound up uninstalling everything focusrite including registry items, and pulled out the initial CD from 2013 and installed it from there.  

PFM!  Everything returned to 'normal' as in low latency, VST instruments responding and the like and well, more like one would expect.

FWIW, I've had the same thing occur in my work environment for 'new' video drivers being installed.  Worked great for about 10% of the users (2500 users), though the rest suffered.  Sometimes it pays to keep old installers.

Working in software engineering, sometimes you just don't want to fix something that isn't broke.  Always keep a working backup.

Yes Really!  BACKUP 🤗

Edited by randyman

This may seem like a dumb question, but have you tried plugging the audio interface in with a different cable?

Sometimes the USB cables break. Try subing it with a different cable.

Also, try cleaning the USB connection pins. They can get dirty over time.

My money is on the Windows update *****in up the drivers. Have you tried rolling back? Or clean installing the drivers?