PRV Note Name for Drums

bitman

6 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What do you mean by this? I'm not seeing anything different in drum maps.

Nothing to do with Drum Maps. @bitman is referring to note names in the PRV/Notes menu to Show/hide note names.

This is nice for some folks (like myself) who enjoy writing drum sequences in the PRV using the Typical Piano Roll vs. the Drum pane.

Example -

852123549_drumnames.JPG.370db0c5f25c94e4be503108b27f114f.JPG

• Like 2

On 10/9/2019 at 5:27 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

This is nice for some folks (like myself) who enjoy writing drum sequences in the PRV using the Typical Piano Roll vs. the Drum pane.

Thanks for this tip. I never use the PRV, I tend to enter drum parts from a usb keyboard and tweak either through the event list or the staff view, but with instrument names in the PRV, that sounds like a very handy use of the PRV.  I haven't tested it, but I am assuming that like the event list, the PRV gets the drum  names from the *.ins files.  If that's not the case, where do they come from?

UPDATE: I did a quick test (mouse drawn notes on staff) and sure enough the percussion names from the *.ins file I am used to in the Event List show up in the PRV. 

image.png.5846a1195b9eeddf3a89b11d1154ced0.pngimage.png.d7be40200fc25c4ef7ad844d2dd94867.png

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to reduce the picture sizes as they were too big and people can click on them to expand if they want to see more details; to answer my own question about names coming from *.ins files

@MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) It all depends on what we are used to I guess. Since I can remember (early 1990's) ive always wrote out drum parts in sequences, either in realtime using loop like on older drum machines or step write. Once I made the transition to a Piano roll, I write out notes one by one and then use copy/paste to tweak my own rhythms.

I made this video years back and shows exactly how I use the PRV for drum editing.

I still use the same principles. My advice for anyone has always been the same, stick with a method and learn to burn (get faster at it). no matter which way you work, one can always get familiar with their own process  and work very productively.

• Like 2

I record my drums with a MIDI kit. then edit and obsess over the performance over the next two months because I can.

I have, on late night sessions, edited the hi hat thinking it was the kick and having to undo a lot because I was a tool. Nevermore? ...... Nevermore.

It's a sickness. This feature is right in my wheel house.

Edited by bitman
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve) said:

Old Method: Edit *.ins file (I used note pad); assign instrument definition to track.  Names show up in Event List and PRV.

Um, no wonder I missed it, I still have little idea what you're talking about; I'll have to dig into the Reference Guide.

I presume I will be editing a text file to make MIDI notes correspond to drum note names that Cakewalk will then display in the Piano Roll View. Somewhere along the way I will apply this file to my MIDI track.

You said "old method," is there a new one?

Thanks to anyone who wants to help a brother out and give me a hint as to where in the Ref. Guide this process is outlined....

20 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Nothing to do with Drum Maps. @bitman is referring to  note names in the PRV/Notes menu  to Show/hide note names.

I knew it referred to note names, it's just that my note names are all the good ol twelve tone rather than Bass, Side Stick, Snare, etc. and I have no idea how one would get those to display. Much as I would love to try it.

It's probably something obvious like editing a plain text file that associates MIDI note numbers with whatever friendly drum names I want to use and then invoking a command to apply that definition file to the track on which I wish to display the drum names.

In the PRV, right-click on the piano notes which brings up a small window, then select "Use These Note Names Instead", and in the drop down menu just below that, choose whatever you want (these are *.ins files provided with Cakewalk - you can edit your own too). Try selecting, for example. "General MIDI drums".

To ensure note names show up on the actual notes (rather than just on the left instead of the piano notes), in the PRV Notes menu, choose "Show Note Names".

Cheers, Peter.