Sending midi commands to spitfire studio strings

Gopal

Hi everyone. 

Iam new to cakewalk. Iam trying to set up my environment in cakewalk.  I use studio strings by spitfire via kontakt as plugin into cakewalk. 

My question may be very trivial. Spitfire studio strings requires articulation via C-2 midi. I need to set the velocity to appropriate number so that spitfire will recognize the articulation. 

How do I set this up in cakewalk so that i have access to individual notes in my melody and I can use multiple articulations for each note in melody

Gopal

The easiest way is via the PRV (Piano Roll View), which you can get to by:

• Double Clicking on the Clip; or
  • Using ALT + 3; or
  • Using the context menu: right click->View->Piano Roll View; or
  • Using the Views menu, and selecting Piano Roll View

PRV.gif

Alternatively, you could use the Event List:

• ALT + 8; or
  • Right Click->View->Event List; or
  • Views->Event List

EVENTLIST.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. 

Your steps show for notes of actual melody 

Will , steps mentioned by you, work for midi command messages also?  I need to send a midi message from DAW to soft synth studio strings. 

The message need to be sent as C-2 (the first key switch) and it's velocity value will trigger a particular articulation. I've attached the user manual of studio strings. Please refer to appendix E

StudioStringsManual_V1.3.pdf

Edited by Gopal
Attached a doc

1 hour ago, Gopal said:

The message need to be sent as C-2 (the first key switch) and it's velocity value will trigger a particular articulation. I've attached the user manual of studio strings. Please refer to appendix E.

Have you tried this method: "When UACC is activated you can change articulation by setting CC32 to specific values that correlative with different articulations?"

Edited by MusicMan11712 (aka Dr. Steve)
to change the period to a question mark

No. In fact iam still struggling to figure out how to send cc32 msgs in cakewalk. And it needs to be corresponding to melodic notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Gopal
Added more connects

21 hours ago, Gopal said:

No. In fact iam still struggling to figure out how to send cc32 msgs in cakewalk. And it needs to be corresponding to melodic notes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Up until 2019.09 Midi Bank select messages weren't being sent to VST's- this was fixed for 2019.09.

I find the best way to do this is to insert them via the event list, after you've recorded your notes. That way you can make sure the time is the same, and they appear directly before the note:

image.png.e15fc20bbe56225fd3564a8fe8d6dff7.png

If this still doesn't work, take a look at your Patch browser settings for the track (make sure you're on MIDI tab if you're using an instrument track):

image.png.da77b1e580524df16e197ae3f6ec5dff.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

I find the best way to do this is to insert them via the event list, after you've recorded your notes. That way you can make sure the time is the same, and they appear directly before the note:

image.png.e15fc20bbe56225fd3564a8fe8d6dff7.png

@msmcleod Asking here for Gopal's usage: Is it possible to add a list of the articulation names (like in an *.ins file, maybe) so the value for CC32 shows up as a name? (I was wondering about that before your reply, but didn't find any such option to do that in the Cakewalk Reference Guide.) Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I just open piano roll view and enter articulation note in this screen. Most articulation keyswitches are 1 to 2 octaves below yhe instruments lowest range so they are not heard. It has to entered a few ticks before the note you are going to effect. Some people duplicate track using new articulation sample, mute it and delete notes they don’t want the effect on. You can duplicate track several times the assign same midi channel to all with each track having a different articulation sample.