how do i adjust fade shape

Gregh1957

I may be mistake but I thought it was possible to adjust the fade shape (or automation shape) using a ke modifier.  The sort of thing I am wanting to do is change to curve of a fade in like this - say if I have a linear fade in, I hover my pointer over the centre of the fade line, press a modifier, and then I can drag the fade line into a curve  - whether quick or slow fade in  or anything in between. is this possible in Cakewalk or am I restricted to set shapes with fades and autiomation?  Here is a video of what I would like to do but in Reaper

You can't dynamically adjust the shape of envelopes, but you can get the same effect in a less-elegant way.

Example

You have to create nodes by clicking on the envelope and right-clicking between the nodes to change the shape of the curve, but you're not limited to the curve shape in the sense that you can place unlimited nodes. It's not as simple to achieve in the same way something like drawing a curve in Serum works, but if you don't want to go insane trying to manually draw a curve in Cakewalk then your next best bet is to node your curve changes using a combination of shapes.

It's important to remember that while it's really easy to get caught up in how it "looks", the more important part is listening how the curve actually affects the audio you're applying it to. This is critical in Cakewalk because the shape, requiring such lego-type construction, is not going to be intuitively similar to what you hear. But as with all things audio, your ears should be your eyes before your eyes anyway, so really the pain point with Cakewalk is the lack of elegance you have to overcome to achieve what you're going for. Which is possible, just not intuitively so.

21 minutes ago, Weekend Astronaut said:

You can't dynamically adjust the shape of envelopes, but you can get the same effect in a less-elegant way.

Example

You have to create nodes by clicking on the envelope and right-clicking between the nodes to change the shape of the curve, but you're not limited to the curve shape in the sense that you can place unlimited nodes. It's not as simple to achieve in the same way something like drawing a curve in Serum works, but if you don't want to go insane trying to manually draw a curve in Cakewalk then your next best bet is to node your curve changes using a combination of shapes.

It's important to remember that while it's really easy to get caught up in how it "looks", the more important part is listening how the curve actually affects the audio you're applying it to. This is critical in Cakewalk because the shape, requiring such lego-type construction, is not going to be intuitively similar to what you hear. But as with all things audio, your ears should be your eyes before your eyes anyway, so really the pain point with Cakewalk is the lack of elegance you have to overcome to achieve what you're going for. Which is possible, just not intuitively so.

thanks - I have used that method before and it can get close to the final result just much slower ie workflow is not as good. I think I will put in a feature request if that is possible