Notes Past the 12th Fret

bayoubill

Being a retired military person, notice I didn't say the political incorrect "retired military man" it's easy for me to automatically know all the notes past the 12th fret.

It works the same as military time. At 1500 hours it's 3 pm so when someone says we're working from the 15th fret It's the same as the 3rd fret one octave lower

as the Bapu would say " simples "

A crusty old Marine Sergeant Major found himself at a gala event hosted by a local liberal arts college. 

There was no shortage of extremely young idealistic ladies in attendance, one of whom approached the Sergeant Major for conversation.

"Excuse me, Sergeant Major, but you seem to be a very serious man. Is something bothering you?"

"Negative, ma'am. Just serious by nature."

The young lady looked at his awards and decorations and said, "It looks like you have seen a lot of action."

"Yes, ma'am, a lot of action."

The young lady, tiring of trying to start up a conversation, said, "You know, you should lighten up. Relax and enjoy yourself."

The Sergeant Major just stared at her in his serious manner.

Finally the young lady said, "You know, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but when is the last time you had s-e-x?"

"1955, ma'am."

"Well, there you are. No wonder you're so serious. You really need to chill out! I mean, no s-e-x since 1955! She took his hand and led him to a private room where she proceeded to "relax" him several times.

Afterwards, panting for breath, she leaned against his bare chest and said, "Wow, you sure didn't forget much since 1955."

The Sergeant Major said, after glancing at his watch, "I hope not; it's only 2130 now."

Edited by paulo
  • Haha 3

16 hours ago, bayoubill said:

We have a resident sax player? 

Yep - me.

Sax, wind synthesizer, flute, guitar, bass, keyboard synth, drums and vocals. Mostly tenor sax but I can play them all.

Drums were my first instrument but sax is my primary instrument. Wind synth is sax related as the fingerings are almost the same but playing technique differs from synth patch to synth patch.

I don't always practice safe sax. And yes, I'm a sax fiend and sax addict. I've been told I'm good in the sax too.

In my current duo http://www.s-cats.com I play sax/wind synth on almost 2/3 of the songs, guitar on about 1/3 and depending on the night a few with the flute. Oh and I sing about half the vocals. The ratio of sax to guitar depends on the audience and the songs that are working that night.

It's easier to read music on the sax than the guitar, but it's much easier to transpose keys on the guitar. Each instrument has it's easier and harder features. Voice is the instrument that took me the longest to learn well enough to perform on-stage without embarrassing myself or getting the band fired.

My screen name is "Notes" because back in the Jurassic era of the Internet, when we discussed things on usenet/newsgroups instead of these forums, there were already 3 people with my name on alt.saxophone (but I'm the genuine one). One called himself Bob, another Robert, and a third Bobby so I chose the nickname my sister's business partner called me, "Notes" and it stuck. (Stuck notes?)

So this Notes likes to play notes past the 12th fret, sometimes two notes at a time, especially if the guitar has a 25.5" scale because the notes are too close together on shorter scale guitars and Notes has a hard time those playing notes without fretting out or hitting the wrong note. This might be noteworthy to some and others will hardly notice.

Insights, incites and a bit of silliness by Notes

• Like 2