[SOLVED] How to disable "Search entire PC" on "Clean Audio Folder"

Rogério

I have all my project on a single folder structure on a specific hard drive.

The audio folder is set to the default (C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data).

When trying to clean the audio folden, I can't turn off the option "Search entire PC":

Tj8Jw7O.png

In the documentation (http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x200E7) it says:

"Note: If Project/Audio Folder is set to the global audio folder, Cakewalk will automatically enable Search Entire PC."

How can I keep that current audio folder path and search just for my current Cakewalk project folder?

Edited by Rogério

Clean Audio searches for projects that use the audio in the specified folder. The Global  Audio Data folder doesn't have a project folder as a parent, so the only option in that case is to search everywhere.

If you just want to clean up one project, and get its audio into a per-project folder, the thing to do is to open the projectin Cakewalk, Save As to a new project folder, and enable the Copy All Audio checkbox. Only audio that is actually referenced in the project will get copied.

To clean the Global Audio folder of all audio no longer referenced by any project, use the Cakewalk Audio Finder tool. I do all my 'cleaning' with this tool as it's more powerful and flexible in terms of telling you what's what, and giving you options.

See post #5 in the below thread for a 'primer' I wrote on how I use it:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Clean-Audio-Folder-still-broken-I-see-m3023320.aspx#3023681

Edited by David Baay
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rogério said:

"Note: If Project/Audio Folder is set to the global audio folder, Cakewalk will automatically enable Search Entire PC."

This might be your answer right there. ^^^ Isnt that your global folder listed in the photo ?

Try expanding your directory's and choose a project.

2 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

This might be your answer right there. ^^^ Isnt that your global folder listed in the photo ?

Try expanding your directory's and choose a project.

This will clean audio files inside the project, not inside the C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data folder, which is currently the default...

2 hours ago, Rogério said:

This will clean audio files inside the project, not inside the C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data folder, which is currently the default...

Maybe im confused here, but are you storing all your audio files in one folder ? Or are they nested in an audio folder within your Cakewalk projects ?

I think Dave gave a better solution (if you can get this working). use this...

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you just want to clean up one project, and get its audio into a per-project folder, the thing to do is to open the projectin Cakewalk, Save As to a new project folder, and enable the Copy All Audio checkbox. Only audio that is actually referenced in the project will get copied.

• Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

Clean Audio searches for projects that use the audio in the specified folder. The Global  Audio Data folder doesn't have a project folder as a parent, so the only option in that case is to search everywhere.

To clean the Global Audio folder of all audio no longer referenced by any project, use the Cakewalk Audio Finder tool. I do all my 'cleaning' with this tool as it's more powerful and flexible in terms of telling you what's what, and giving you options.

See post #5 in the below thread for a 'primer' I wrote on how I use it:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Clean-Audio-Folder-still-broken-I-see-m3023320.aspx#3023681

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you again David!

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

In general its no longer necessary to use Cakewalk Audio Finder and in fact its not optimized like Clean audio which now cleans in seconds.
For per project audio there is no reason to use anything else to clean.

Thanks, Noel, but as you can see in the first post, if I have leave C:\Cakewalk Projects\Audio Data as default audio folder, I can't turn off the option "Search entire PC".

My projects are in a second drive and I have more than 1 million files in the entire PC, so definitively it doesn't clean in seconds, but in a dozen minutes...

• 9 months later...

I've solved it, at least on my machine.

After my recent Windows 10 update, "Clean Audio Folder" tool would unceremoniously exit partway through the search, *poof* back to seeing the desktop with Cakewalk/Sonar no longer running. I carefully watched the folders it was searching just before it crashed, and realized it happened upon searching a "windows.old" folder that got created when Windows 10 did the update. Windows stores its old version in that folder when the new Windows 10 update is installed. There must be something about a filename in that "windows.old" folder that crashes "Clean Audio Folder" tool. You can't simply navigate to the "windows.old" folder and delete it normally, so here's an article how to do it:

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-delete-windows-old

After following this process and a restart, "Clean Audio Folder" tool is now happily up and running again, plus it's freed up several GB of space on my drive.