2019.09 Feedback

Jesse Jost

4 hours ago, PeterMc said:

Thanks. I thought I had unbound T and tested this case, but apparently not. So it only happens when T is bound to "Go to Time". Not surprising that there is a crash as there is no timeline when there is no project!

I've fixed the crash for the next version, however an interesting observation.... 

If you unbind the key, load a project, then bind the key again while a project is open, it will no longer crash with no project loaded.

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I've fixed the crash for the next version, however an interesting observation.... 

If you unbind the key, load a project, then bind the key again while a project is open, it will no longer crash with no project loaded.

Thanks. Interestingly, I can't reproduce what you describe. So long as a key (I tried T and A) is bound to "Go to Time" and no project is open, there is a crash, regardless of whether the project is open/closed while binding/unbinding.

I'm guessing that "Go to Time" is looking for variables or structures related to the timeline that have not been created until a project is open. The question is, do these variables/structures persist when a project is closed.

This is really a small issue, and unlikely to occur very often. I only came across it very much by accident.

Cheers, Peter.

RTZ now doesn't stop playback by default. It seems that the only way to get RTZ to stop playback is to select Options > Click Behavior > Transport Seeking Stops Playback. This means I can't click around in the timeline without stopping playback.  This is disastrous to my workflow. Surely these two things do not need to be linked. Surely we can have the ablity to independently control in regards to whether RTZ and clicking in the timeline stops playback.
Or have I missed something?

<-||-> S cursor issue. I don't know when is this happened. It may be from 2019.07, not 2019.09.

When press Ctrl+Shift+A or Shift+ESC to clear selection, seems Now time location at the time is set to "Selection handle position" as ghost. So <-||-> S cursor appears at that location (even if changing Now time) and it's in the way because that location is unclickable until making new selection.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm enjoying the 2019.09 update, thanks to the Bakers!

I also would like to thank CbB staff for a fix when renaming markers with right+click on them!
I don't know if it was just me but before this update doing so would maintain markers dialog box and it was necessary to click 'OK' again to finish operation!

Best regards,

I've been using 201909 for several weeks, finally ran into a plugin bug.   I just recently acquired the IK Multimedia Hammond B-3X VST, and it's the first plugin that I've had a problem with.     I've also contacted IK's support, as well.    

I'm not seeing this problem with Reaper or Studio One.

Cakewalk_B-3X-load-error.PNG.7ea7025118eb95c9d72fe8bdf7237ef2.PNG

While I have not seen this particular failure point or any scan load errors in some time, when ever I had an error scanning a commercial plug-ins there was never a problem taking the "Enable Plug-in" option. If the "Disable Plug-in" option was selected, to re-scan the plug-by open VST Settings in preferences and

• select "Manual Scan" from the scan options drop down
  • check "Re-scan Failed Plug-ins" option,
  • click the Scan button
  • once the scan is complete uncheck "Rescan Failed Plug-ins"
  • reset the scan options drop down to your preferred setting.

While in preferences make sure the "Scan in Sandbox" is enabled. IIRC, it is the default.

@Noel Borthwick - It seems very repeatable.    I was selecting the enable it anyway option, and it seems to work.  Not sure it's stable, haven't stressed it, yet.    What's the location of the scanner?  I'll check the metadata on it.

Other significant changes this weekend, I did the cumulative .Net Framework update (KB4522741).   Not sure if I tried the plugin with Cakewalk before that upgrade.

Edited by ceez

Sure ask them to contact me. I was previously in contact with Ryan Swannick there regarding a different issue so they have my contact info.
The issue is that the IK plugin seems to not like the effMainsChanged and effStopProcess calls from being made early while its being scanned. Our scanner has always done this so its not new behavior. I've removed this since they are potentially unnecessary. We're still testing it in beta to ensure there are no regressions with other plugins.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, got myself a nasty project while using 2019.09 - when trying to record some MIDI data on a synth track, the sound from all tracks in the project gets lost and the level meters in the sound card mixer software indicate continuous clipping coming from CbB.

• The project contains two synth tracks (both are Massive X 1.1.0 each loaded inside Komplete Kontrol 2.1.6).
  • First track contains two track lanes for MIDI data (notes and MIDI controllers) and six automation lanes (various synth controls).
  • Second track contains two track lanes for MIDI data (notes and MIDI controllers) and no automation lanes.
  • The lane of the 2nd track designed for MIDI controllers has no data on it. In fact, I want to record it, so the lane is armed for recording.
  • Project recording mode is set to Sound on sound as I want to hear the lane containing notes while recording the mod wheel.

Now, depending on when I start recording from Stopped state or from Playback state, the behaviour varies:

1. If I hit the Record button from a stopped transport, then I hear the metronome ticking the count-in measure followed by an explosive crackle and silence with the level meters in the sound card software displaying continuous clipping. The only way to resolve this is to reload the project.

2. If I hit the Record button during playback, then I can still hear the first synth playing, able to record the data, but can't hear the second synth (the one I'm recording), which shouldn't be happening in Sound on sound mode.

I could upload the project if it helps.

Also once I got into that silent state, I tried changing the buffer size from 256 to 512 in Preferences. Then all of a sudden I could hear both synth playing again, but with heavy crackling as if it fails to fill the buffer. And this would soon stop with a dropout. However, no toast notification pops up to indicate the dropout code.

6 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Hmm, got myself a nasty project while using 2019.09 - when trying to record some MIDI data on a synth track, the sound from all tracks in the project gets lost and the level meters in the sound card mixer software indicate continuous clipping coming from CbB.

Have you tried lowering the volume(s) of the tracks? If using softsynths, maybe splitting the instrument track into the audio and midi components might help give control over the levels?

image.png.59cfe86371f78577ea7eca3b075d2250.png 

On 11/12/2019 at 1:35 AM, User 905133 said:

Have you tried lowering the volume(s) of the tracks? If using softsynths, maybe splitting the instrument track into the audio and midi components might help give control over the levels?

image.png.59cfe86371f78577ea7eca3b075d2250.png 

Yes I tried that and also a limiter on the master bus, but to no avail. It all just dies. But I managed at least to narrow it down to Massive X now. It happens with MX loaded either directly or via Komplete Kontrol. The moment I hit the Record button, sounds from MX die with a single nasty click. The issue doesn't happen to me with any other plugins. Too bad, their 1.1 update comes with really good and inspiring sounds... Now looks like I'll have to wait for the fix.