2019.09 Feedback

Jesse Jost

Only had 30 mins to play so far but its seems like a great release.

Been playing around with some real time performance stuff and no dropouts when using the Matrix and adding new plugs, recording etc.

I am going to try and figure out how to map my Maschine Jam with the Matrix later tonight and give it a much more intensive workout.

just started using Cakewalk a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it, but unfortunately, after the update, my U-He Satin plugin is causing a reproducable crash every time I try to load a project where an instance of the plugin is present.  I've been working in this project (with the plugin present) for a couple of weeks now, with no issues.

I took the tried-and-true first step of turning it off, and on again, but that didn't help.  :(  I am able to pull the VST3 version of Satin into another project, but if I then save and try to open the project, I get the error.

CW_Satin-crash.png

53 minutes ago, Chris Buczkowski said:

just started using Cakewalk a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it, but unfortunately, after the update, my U-He Satin plugin is causing a reproducable crash every time I try to load a project where an instance of the plugin is present.  I've been working in this project (with the plugin present) for a couple of weeks now, with no issues.

I took the tried-and-true first step of turning it off, and on again, but that didn't help.  :(  I am able to pull the VST3 version of Satin into another project, but if I then save and try to open the project, I get the error.

CW_Satin-crash.png

I think it's unlikely to be new but I'll take a look. Please send a link to the crash dump file.

Did you not try the early access build?

8 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I think it's unlikely to be new but I'll take a look. Please send a link to the crash dump file.

Did you not try the early access build?

it’s possible there was an underlying issue I hadn’t seen until something in the new version exposed it, but I’ve been working in the project as late as yesterday, with no problems (the Satin instance has been there for at least a couple of weeks now, and I’ve been in and out of the file regularly since then).

I don't generally like to engage with early builds (holdover from my one time experience beta testing a new Reason version).

where do I look to find the crash dump?  I’ll try to send that along later this afternoon. 

1 hour ago, guitfnky said:

it’s possible there was an underlying issue I hadn’t seen until something in the new version exposed it, but I’ve been working in the project as late as yesterday, with no problems (the Satin instance has been there for at least a couple of weeks now, and I’ve been in and out of the file regularly since then).

I don't generally like to engage with early builds (holdover from my one time experience beta testing a new Reason version).

where do I look to find the crash dump?  I’ll try to send that along later this afternoon. 

@guitfnky please take a look at this article.

All i can say is "I"m So Happy" 

The plugin problem has been bugin me for months and I've realized it was causing problems for me going back a long time and I have been checking twice a day for the update now I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I don't have to double check my plugins all the time.

Thanks again for tracking this down 

Hello, Offline Help seems not work in my german version:

"Note: If you prefer to always use offline Help, go to Edit > Preferences > File > Advanced in your Cakewalk software and select Always Use Offline Help."

There's no "Always Use Offline Help" point to choose.

1 hour ago, HarryC said:

Hello, Offline Help seems not work in my german version:

Offline help is currently not available for CbB. 

Sorry about the misleading note on the website, which is strictly there for legacy products. The note is automatically embedded on every help page, and still applies to SONAR, Music Creator, etc.

Offline help might become available for CbB in the future. For now, you can download the Reference Guide PDF (which will be updated for version 2019.09 soon).

9 hours ago, guitfnky said:

CW_Satin-crash.png

I was able to reproduce this. Its caused by a bug in the plugin which causes a crash when the process call is done while the plugin is not active. This is the proper VST3 specified way to synchronize state when a plugin is not running. The reason it didn't happen in earlier versions  is because there is a new fix for the bug below. We're not going to bring back that more serious issue so I have worked around this crash by ignoring the crash and it appears to load OK. The plugin vendor really should address this properly in their code.

---

Waves/Fab Filter are reverted to the plugin reset value

=============================
recipe:

1. Set Cbb option "always stream audio through FX" to off
2. Insert FabFilter Q3 or Pro-G in an empty track
3. Open UI and change settings
4. Save project
5, Reopen
6. Tweak settings in plugin
7. Save
8. Reopen

Expected:

Plugin changes are saved.

Actual:

Intermittent cases from some users where the plugin values revert to default settings.

• Thanks 1

Wow! Am I dreaming or has the zoom on lanes been changed? I just zoomed some lanes and was delighted to find the comp track reasonably smaller than the zoomed lanes....

I hope this is real! 😉

Thanks Bakers!

Minor bug:
When you do right click on a crossfade and open the old CLIP crossfade dialog, the checkmark is not showing the existing crossfade type between those clips, but indicating the same crossfade type selected in the new top right crossfade menu. There is some kind of uncorresponding visual synchronization between the clip crossfade dialog and the new crossfade menu, that can lead to confusion.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the constant development and improving of Cakewalk. Now is a better DAW than yesterday. You are great::.

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I was able to reproduce this. Its caused by a bug in the plugin which causes a crash when the process call is done while the plugin is not active. This is the proper VST3 specified way to synchronize state when a plugin is not running. The reason it didn't happen in earlier versions  is because there is a new fix for the bug below. We're not going to bring back that more serious issue so I have worked around this crash by ignoring the crash and it appears to load OK. The plugin vendor really should address this properly in their code.

---

Waves/Fab Filter are reverted to the plugin reset value

=============================
recipe:

1. Set Cbb option "always stream audio through FX" to off
2. Insert FabFilter Q3 or Pro-G in an empty track
3. Open UI and change settings
4. Save project
5, Reopen
6. Tweak settings in plugin
7. Save
8. Reopen

Expected:

Plugin changes are saved.

Actual:

Intermittent cases from some users where the plugin values revert to default settings.

glad to know I'm not crazy!  gotta love it when a fix in one piece of software exposes a flaw in another....

anyway, sorry if I'm being dense, but how are you able to ignore the crash?  it doesn't let me just close the error, and if I choose No, it just doesn't create a recovery file.  I'll certainly be reporting the bug to the U-He site, but in the meantime, I'm hoping to at least recover the project.  :)

btw, thanks for the super-quick response.  really appreciate it.

24 minutes ago, guitfnky said:

glad to know I'm not crazy!  gotta love it when a fix in one piece of software exposes a flaw in another....

anyway, sorry if I'm being dense, but how are you able to ignore the crash?  it doesn't let me just close the error, and if I choose No, it just doesn't create a recovery file.  I'll certainly be reporting the bug to the U-He site, but in the meantime, I'm hoping to at least recover the project.  :)

btw, thanks for the super-quick response.  really appreciate it.

I meant in the code we catch the exception and ignore it. Its not a recommended procedure but its a failsafe.
You can't prevent the crash yourself till you get the fix from us...
Please report it to them - I will also file a bug report directly.

• Thanks 1

So far so good, I'll get a good kick at it tomorrow. One thing i wish I could do is move more that one track at the same time.

When I receive files to mix i put them in order like drums first, bass than guitars. When I receive files the obviously load in alphabetical order, so would be good if i could grab all the drums drag them up to the top and sort them faster.

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I meant in the code we catch the exception and ignore it. Its not a recommended procedure but its a failsafe.
You can't prevent the crash yourself till you get the fix from us...
Please report it to them - I will also file a bug report directly.

ah, gotcha. appreciate the clarification.  thanks again!  I'll submit the bug report with U-He momentarily.

• Thanks 1