2019.09 Feature Overview

Noel Borthwick

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@eli0s this is described in the notes below. The only change to the W behavior is NOT to stop playback since its not standard to stop playback when seeking. The same also applies to the transport RTZ operations. Its desirable to jump to the start of the loop or beginning of the project and continue playing in many cases.If you need to stop playback why not press the spacebar? Seeking on the transport doesn't stop playback so why should rewind operations do that. 

We tried W with a video file and did not see any hangs. Is it possible to upload the specific video you are using? Does it happen with any video file? 

Updated transport behaviors

Go to Start and Go to End buttons now accurately seek to project beginning and end, and do not stop playback.
The W (rewind) key always seeks backwards in time to the prior "landmarks". There are 3 landmarks:
the original playback start time the loop start time the project start time (time 0, or 1:1:0)

The problem probably lies on the existing project. When I try a new project the freeze doesn't happen. I haven't tried opening older projects with video files and see if they reproduce this behavior yet. I will when I am done with this project, since I am in a pickle with time restraints!

I am learning to use space for stopping and rewinding to the now time. If the playback is stopped, I can press "W" to go to the beginning without problems.

I only mentioned my case because of the freeze, this was totally unexpected and happened on a command that I  use very frequently. I will august and avoid it for the time being. 

Anyway, thank you everybody for helping!

Be well,

Elias   

7 hours ago, eli0s said:

The problem probably lies on the existing project. When I try a new project the freeze doesn't happen. I haven't tried opening older projects with video files and see if they reproduce this behavior yet. I will when I am done with this project, since I am in a pickle with time restraints!

I am learning to use space for stopping and rewinding to the now time. If the playback is stopped, I can press "W" to go to the beginning without problems.

I only mentioned my case because of the freeze, this was totally unexpected and happened on a command that I  use very frequently. I will august and avoid it for the time being. 

Anyway, thank you everybody for helping!

Be well,

Elias   

@eli0s if you can upload a version of the project and the video file we can take a look.

@eli0s thanks for sending your files. I loaded up your project with the video and set up a loop and repeatedly pressed the W key to rewind but everything works as expected. There were no hangs at all. Do you have any synths in your original project or something else that could be causing a stall?
If you could send the hang dump via wetransfer or google drive etc it might show where specifically its hanging. I suspect its some video codec on your system leading to the issue. Does it hang if you seek time by clicking on the transport? All the W key is doing is setting the transport position so the hang should occur there as well if there is an issue.

Edit: I was able to reproduce it finally. I had to have the video running fullscreen before it happened for some reason. It appears to be a deadlock with the MF video engine. I'll investigate further and let you know but I don't believe this issue is actually new to 09,  just exposed because of the seeking while playing.

EDIT2: Confirmed. I can repro the same hang by rapidly pressing CTRL PgUp  or PgDn to seek through the video while its playing. In fact that hang even happens in SONAR.  Will investigate a potential fix

EDIT3: I've fixed it for our hotfix :) This was an ancient issue that could cause a hang with some video's if seeking on the timeline quickly.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Edit: I was able to reproduce it finally. I had to have the video running fullscreen before it happened for some reason. It appears to be a deadlock with the MF video engine. I'll investigate further and let you know but I don't believe this issue is actually new to 09,  just exposed because of the seeking while playing.

EDIT2: Confirmed. I can repro the same hang by rapidly pressing CTRL PgUp  or PgDn to seek through the video while its playing. In fact that hang even happens in SONAR.  Will investigate a potential fix

EDIT3: I've fixed it for our hotfix :) This was an ancient issue that could cause a hang with some video's if seeking on the timeline quickly.

Oh, wow!! This is superb! Thank you very much!!!
For some reason it wasn't happening before this latest update! But I am so glad you were able to pin point it!

I am so grateful for your effort Noel! Thank you again!!!🥰

Be well,

Elias

11 minutes ago, eli0s said:

Oh, wow!! This is superb! Thank you very much!!!
For some reason it wasn't happening before this latest update! But I am so glad you were able to pin point it!

I am so grateful for your effort Noel! Thank you again!!!🥰

Be well,

Elias

The only reason it happens is because you press W multiple times quickly :) 
Now that it doesn't stop playback it exposes the issue. You can repro in any version of Cakewalk by just seeking on the timeline faster than a second with your project.

21 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Now that it doesn't stop playback it exposes the issue. You can repro in any version of Cakewalk by just seeking on the timeline faster than a second with your project.

I see! It makes sense now that you said it! 😄

Thank you for everything!

E.

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Interesting. I got it freeze with another Video with ctrl pgup / pgdn. The Video (no Fullscreen, small window) was still playing, but cakewalk was frozen. Had to restart my system to get the Audiodrivers back. But No Problem with hitting "W" multiple times. And for whatever reason I couldn't make it happen in Sonar.

However, your effort and dedication is simply stunning!!!! Thank you so much for your Work and this wonderful DAW. All the best

On 10/3/2019 at 6:34 PM, InstrEd said:

These updates are making it hard to keep up with all the knowledge I need to know.  CbB is awesome and very deep. I wish I had the time to squirrel away with the program again. 

for the end user, if the bakers fixed all the known issues before introducing new features or changes to existing features, it would be less confusing (eg, is it a bug or is it a change to the feature?)

/fwiw

15 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

maybe temporarily disable "w" after the first click, until the process has completed?

On 10/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

I would still like a way to turn off  selection in the timeline. I love the new features. I love cakewalk and there's not much I don't like about these wonderful updates. but there is too much going on in the timeline to make accurate clicks, having to cycle through Green/Select - Yellow/loop - punch/red. I know the tab key, but I can barely click on a marker without hitting that "double sided arrow / S in the timeline. my work around now is to use CNTRL+SHIFT+A to de-select all, then I am able to make accurate clicks.

EDIT- I would like to say, you cant please everyone all the time, so im not complaining per say. I'd just like a way to work like I did in previous versions where clicking in the timeline was a bit simpler.

I actually 100 percent agree with this. It's getting kinda frustrating in the timeline, to be honest. I was excited about the timeline selection when I heard about it, but, in practice, it's something I would rather just have the ability to turn off. Not a dealbreaker, obviously, but it would be nice.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

I actually 100 percent agree with this. It's getting kinda frustrating in the timeline, to be honest. I was excited about the timeline selection when I heard about it, but, in practice, it's something I would rather just have the ability to turn off. Not a dealbreaker, obviously, but it would be nice.

I added a second ruler to the timeline and found the extra space made a difference to my ability to click in the timeline area and get the expected results.

• Like 1

Left Click Rewinds to Clip Start in Lanes’ option  -- this feature doesn't work

it won't go to the beginning of a clip during play back.  There's a vertical line momentarily but now just chugging along

What i like to do also is to audit the various takes or clips from its beginning, so I though this feature will do that.

1 hour ago, micv said:

Left Click Rewinds to Clip Start in Lanes’ option  -- this feature doesn't work

it won't go to the beginning of a clip during play back.  There's a vertical line momentarily but now just chugging along

What i like to do also is to audit the various takes or clips from its beginning, so I though this feature will do that.

Thanks for reporting it. The feature actually works but it looks like there is an old bug (also in Platinum) where if the clip start is scrolled out of view the left click wont go to the clip beginning. We'll look into fixing it for the next CbB release. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I added a second ruler to the timeline and found the extra space made a difference to my ability to click in the timeline area and get the expected results.

I was going to suggest to Noel and crew to make the Time Line a little bigger. But this sounds like a good workaround. How to get multiple timelines though?

Edited by Grem