Confused ... vst3 and scan path

mark skinner

I'm trying to help a friend  install and authorize some free plugins in (32 bit) Sonar Le 8.5 from Izotope. Installed  but couldn't find the plugins while trying to load them inside the daw.   I assumed they weren't in his scan path  but , I didn't have time to check his files.  I later checked "my" pc and found the files in my c\common files\vst3 folder.  All the Izotope software loads flawlessly on my pc in the same Sonar daw. The main confusion I have right now , is that the common files\vst3 folder doesn't show up in my scan path. Only the x86 folders.   Are common files automatically scanned without adding them in the plugin mgnr. or vst options ?  Could it have anything to do with also having CbB installed.  I've had more than a few problems in the past with plugins and I'm finding I'm not really sure how Cakewalk/Sonar even finds these vst(s) etc.   Thanks for any help ...          mark       

Any program will find the VSTs that it installs. If other VSTs are installed in the same folder, they'll be recognized as well.

Fortunately, most programs give you the option to specify where you want to install plug-ins, but many don't. It can take a little sleuthing to find out that, for example,  Native Instruments installs plug-ins to C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit.

These days more companies are opting to install plug-ins in the Common Files folder, so when I have the option, I install plug-ins there. However, there are still "outliers," so you need to include where they're installed in your scan path.

16 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I'm trying to help a friend  install and authorize some free plugins in (32 bit) Sonar Le 8.5 from Izotope. Installed  but couldn't find the plugins while trying to load them inside the daw.   I assumed they weren't in his scan path  but , I didn't have time to check his files.  I later checked "my" pc and found the files in my c\common files\vst3 folder.  All the Izotope software loads flawlessly on my pc in the same Sonar daw. The main confusion I have right now , is that the common files\vst3 folder doesn't show up in my scan path. Only the x86 folders.   Are common files automatically scanned without adding them in the plugin mgnr. or vst options ?  Could it have anything to do with also having CbB installed.  I've had more than a few problems in the past with plugins and I'm finding I'm not really sure how Cakewalk/Sonar even finds these vst(s) etc.   Thanks for any help ...          mark       

SONAR 8.5 variants predate VST3 support, so you need to make sure anything installed for it is a VST2. On a 64-bit system, the stock scan path for Cakewalk/SONAR is C:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins on a 64-bit OS or C:\program files\cakwealk\vstplugins on a 32-bit OS. As Craig mentioned you can pick similar paths from the plugin installers, but you need to make sure Cakewalk/SONAR scans those.

VST3 uses a common path in the specification, so they all go C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Thank you Jonathan for the info and your time. I found the Izotope .dll files in my x86\Cakewalk\common files\vst3 folder. I guess I was overlooking the dll files hunting for vst3.   Since the \common files weren't directly listed in my scan path , are they being scanned because it is a sub folder of \Cakewalk?    If yes ,  if \Cakewalk was the "last" folder in the scan path chain would it check all of it's sub folders during a scan ?  I wasn't given a choice for locations during the install.   Clicking custom install did nothing.   Thanks again ...   mark

8 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

On a 64-bit system, the stock scan path for Cakewalk/SONAR is C:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins on a 64-bit OS or C:\program files\cakwealk\vstplugins on a 32-bit OS

Aren't those reversed? I think it should be C:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins for a 32-bit OS, or C:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins for a 64-bit OS.

10 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

Aren't those reversed? I think it should be C:\program files (x86)\cakewalk\vstplugins for a 32-bit OS, or C:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins for a 64-bit OS.

A 32-bit OS is not aware of or able to load 64 bit programs--so it is going to assume that all program files are 32-bit and just use a folder named "program files"--there will be no folder for 64-bit programs, so distinguishing two different program file folders by storing 32-bit programs under "program files (x86) will not occur.

• Like 1

That also threw me off until I realized he was referring to a 32 bit OS , rather than a 32 bit daw.  I guess I failed to mention the pc with the problem is 64 bit win 7 .  I found his files , put them directly in the scan path, scanned , and they still won't show up even in excluded.  Everything installed  from a disk works fine. Everything downloaded "always" gives us a problem. No running virus protection, firewall turned off , running as administrator.  He's been trying to load and install CbB using the right steps with no luck for months. I've installed all the same software on 3 of "my" computers with no problems.  He has a slow processor ,  low ram , registry problems and low internet download speed .  He's now finally buying a new pc.!  W'ell deal with internet later .    You guys have been Great , Thanks for the help .   I'm sure I'll be back soon ...  mark

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

He's been trying to load and install CbB using the right steps with no luck for months.

This is never going to work if the user has a 32bit OS. CbB is 64bit. There is no 32bit version of CbB.

5 hours ago, mark skinner said:

. . . he was referring to a 32 bit OS . . . .  I guess I failed to mention the pc with the problem is 64 bit win 7 .

Forgive me for sticking my nose in here; I was casually following this thread and just have to ask-- is your friend trying to run a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC with something like VM Virtual Box? If so, was that being done to try to "install and authorize some free plugins in (32 bit) Sonar Le 8.5 from Izotope?" I can't offer anything to try to solve the problem, but there's an itch in my brain on this ("Huh?") .

Dr. Steve , he is running 64 bit win 7 that came with his pc.  The plugins hes' trying to install , he wants to use in a 32bit old Sonar  8.5 daw.   Looks like my CbB uses the Vst3 files from the Izotope download , but it uses the dll files , in my old 32 bit Sonar Daws.  We do a lot of file sharing so were trying have all the same Daws and effects on our computers.  Thanks for asking , I guess that could have been the case . Really don't know for sure what all has been done to his machine.. When he gets a new one, I'm bringing his old one home and going thru it.  Not that we'll ever use it , but I'm really curious why he couldn't install CbB.            mark

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2019 at 7:24 PM, Craig Anderton said:

Any program will find the VSTs that it installs. If other VSTs are installed in the same folder, they'll be recognized as well.

Fortunately, most programs give you the option to specify where you want to install plug-ins, but many don't. It can take a little sleuthing to find out that, for example,  Native Instruments installs plug-ins to C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit.

These days more companies are opting to install plug-ins in the Common Files folder, so when I have the option, I install plug-ins there. However, there are still "outliers," so you need to include where they're installed in your scan path.

Hey Craig,

I had 2 problems associated with Native Instruments' Kontakt Player not showing up when it used to (perhaps an update deleted the search string from Preferences, I don't know), but your post here got me on the right track to fix it.

But (and sorry to hijack this thread for a different question), but I'm having a problem that I hope you can help me with now.

I happen to have 2 MIDI tracks (Piano and Guitar).  When I point them both to the the plugin True Pianos, they play in harmony and all is well (both MIDI tracks sharing the same piano plugin).

But when I now insert the Kontakt Player Browser Plugin, and select an Orange Tree Samples Evolution guitar, it plays fine from my MIDI Controller, but when I point the 2nd MIDI Track (the Guitar one) to play through the Kontakt instead of True Pianos, it won't play the guitar sound.  

I don't know what I need to do.  Am I missing something?  IMHO, NI Software is really unfriendly to use and I'm not sure if there is something I need to adjust in its browser to allow the DAW to play the selected instrument that plays fine via the MIDI Controller.  Help please?

Edited by Toddskins