Great Weekend

Vernon Barnes

I was at the Robin 2, Bilston near Wolverhampton for The Reasoning Last Hurrah.  This explains it https://www.thereasoning.co.uk/

The reasoning were one of a lose grouping of South Wales based prog bands that include Karnataka, Magenta and Panic Room.

It was a great day with This Winter Machine kicking off, they were excellent. Next band Circu5 had been on my bucket list for a while and they did not disappoint.  I  got to have a pint with leader, guitarist, singer Steve Tilling at the after-show.

Jump is a band I had not encountered before, they have been around a long time and have made 13 albums to date so now I have a back catalogue to to catch up on, Fronted by angry Welshman John Dexter they spat their venom in all the right directions.

Leader and bass Matt Cohen did a great job of assembling a band of former and new members. Young Californian Emilee Moyce did a great job on the female vocals, previous sung by Matt's ex-wife Rachel.  Apparently this was her first time on stage but she preformed with great confidence.  The male singer, known only to me as Andrew was also top notch.  Original drummer Jake Bradford-Sharp is one of the best drummers on the British prog scene at the moment.  Lead Guitarist Keith Hawkins another original member who replaced Owain Roberts who sadly went missing in 2012 was most impressive. ex Panic Room guitarist Paul Davies was on 2nd guitar, and later another ex Panic Room guitarist Dave Foster joined them on stage.  For the finale Anne Marie Helder joined them. as a massive Panic Room fan it was something special to see her on stage with Dave and Paul.

It was an emotionally charged performance and a fitting "Last Hurrah" from a really great band. I look forward to hearing Matt's latest project Omega Point.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

Hmm...  Everything in the above post looks familiar except for the first name, Vernon.  Is that you Glyn?  Or are you related to Glyn?

Haven't seen Glyn posting for a couple of months at least, but I know this was one of the gigs he wanted to go to!

I love the term "angry Welshman" and will have to go have a listen to Jump (who I also had never heard of).

I gigged at a couple of different venues. On Friday they hit the dance floor right after dinner and it stayed full all night. On Saturday they just went wild for my saxophone, playing air-sax on the dance floor and cheering me on (and I went home with money in my pocket - I love this life).

Notes

22 hours ago, craigb said:

Hmm...  Everything in the above post looks familiar except for the first name, Vernon.  Is that you Glyn?  Or are you related to Glyn?

Haven't seen Glyn posting for a couple of months at least, but I know this was one of the gigs he wanted to go to!

I love the term "angry Welshman" and will have to go have a listen to Jump (who I also had never heard of).

Yeah, its me Glyn,  I keep changing my display name and it keeps changing back. I need to go into my Bandlab account to see if i can change it there or something.

• Great Idea 1