Anyone considering a new computer build - great article explaining M.2 NVME drive benefits

Robert Bone

He makes a good case for the m.2 as the C drive. if the MOBO supports two m.2 drives, go for it. One caveat, I would keep the OS “lean and mean” prices are certainly coming down, but no need for 1T OS drives. Where the m.2 shines on my system is loading samples. 

Just my nickel98, YMMV

Thanks for the link Bob. 

Tom

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

One caveat, I would keep the OS “lean and mean” prices are certainly coming down, but no need for 1T OS drives. Where the m.2 shines on my system is loading samples. 

+1, the "lean and mean" comes in for me with imaging the OS drive. A larger drive would work here, but I would partition it just for the imaging concern. The OS is more likely to get a bad driver load than the drive itself to fail, but both can happen.

The other caveat is that the X4 NMVe slot is typically available to only one NVMe drive (at the cost of 2 SATA drive slots). That NVMe slot makes the ideal sample drive, and where the biggest/fastest NVMe would shine.

Nice article Bob, thanks for sharing.

I splurged and bought 2 NVME drives, one for boot drive, and the other for Komplete 11 Ultimate and other sample libraries.  Both are Samsung 960 Pro 2 TB NVME drives.

The new motherboard actually supports a 3rd drive, but I do not need one for the foreseeable future.  CRAZY fast drives, though.

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added some drive info
  • Like 3

Hello Bob .. good to hear from you I also run a 960pro ….there very good and the price has dropped .. but still overpriced  .. A little reading about the Rocket and you will see They Smoke @ss ! pcie 4.0 to boot !

Edited by StarTekh
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I splurged and bought 2 NVME drives, one for boot drive, and the other for Komplete 11 Ultimate and other sample libraries.  Both are Samsung 960 Pro 2 TB NVME drives.

The new motherboard actually supports a 3rd drive, but I do not need one for the foreseeable future.  CRAZY fast drives, though.

Bob Bone

Me too Bob. My mb has a dedicated m2 slot and a pcie x4 m2 mounting card. I'm mostly recording & mixing audio mine are used for the C [boot] drive & the Cakewalk projects drive   I have two Samsung ssds for everything else. I haven't measured but mine seem lighting fast.

• Like 1

Mettelus
"The other caveat is that the X4 NMVe slot is typically available to only one NVMe drive (at the cost of 2 SATA drive slots).
That NVMe slot makes the ideal sample drive, and where the biggest/fastest NVMe would shine."

Good point, something I had forgotten that Jim explained to me when we set my Cat up.
I'm a stickler for "redundancy" so I have a drive in every slot, for samples the 1T m.2 has me "covered" for the stuff I use most.
I have a second sample drive, SSD, for the lesser used libraries.
I never partition the OS drive for fear that when reinstalling the OS image, we all image frequently right?, I'll format the entire drive.
again YMMV,

Tom

On 10/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, DeeringAmps said:

He makes a good case for the m.2 as the C drive. if the MOBO supports two m.2 drives, go for it. One caveat, I would keep the OS “lean and mean” prices are certainly coming down, but no need for 1T OS drives. Where the m.2 shines on my system is loading samples. 

Just my nickel98, YMMV

Thanks for the link Bob. 

Tom

Yup - I concur - lean and mean on the boot drive.  For many years now, I have moved my user folders, off to a separate drive (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos), and I also customize any plugin content (when possible), to also have it located to any drive other than my boot drive. 

When I relocated my user folders, I went to the Properties of each of the folders, and clicked on the Location tab, and had already created a Users folder, with a Robert sub-folder, and Windows then moved the content of each folder to its new home.  Please note that others use a technique where they create a soft link or Junction, to point Windows at the new locations for moved user folders - I just do it with the Location tab in the Properties dialog box for each folder.

SO, on the boot drive, in addition to Windows, I leave AppData and ProgramData alone.  Because not too much gets written to the boot drive at that point, it stays quite stable on its used space.

Bob Bone

Cactus Music : I built A 2nd little system todo samples and stuff ….It has A Adata 8200 pro nvme in it .. the new system   with a z390a asus and 16g of 3000mhz memory was quite cheep . but power full to them max !  9600K is right up there with my 8086k that cost 2 times the price.. mother board processor memory .. need my free shopping list ? God I love ThunderBolt !