Switching Between Instruments

UCG Musician

Question

Greetings,

This is my first time posting on this forum.  I hope there are experienced SONAR Platinum users who can provide a little advice on a problem I frequently have.  I regularly create MIDI sequences for use at my church, which has a MIDI organ and digital keyboard.  But I always have to do the bulk of the work at home, where I have (obviously) totally different instruments.  The organ utilizes very old MIDI messages (everything done in NRPNs) and I can only get appropriate settings by recording what happens when I turn stops on and off.

It's a real challenge to adapt a sequence done at home with SONAR driving a KORG Kronos88 and a Roland XV-5050 to the instruments at church.  I currently have a situation where I created a MIDI file at home and then adapted it to the church instruments but now need to make tempo and other changes to the file and that's only practical at home because I do not have regular access to the church instruments.

With that as a background, my question is whether there is a straightforward way of using a SONAR file with one set of instruments and their peculiar banks, patches, NRPNs, etc. on a different set of instruments without having to change all those parameters?  In particular I need to create a fairly involved tempo map and do not want to reset everything on the "church version" of the file to play properly at home.  I want to create a tempo map using the original file that utilized the instruments at home and then copy ONLY the tempo map to the "church version".  Can this be done?  If so, please explain clearly or point me to documentation that covers it.

Thanks,

UCG Musician

Edited by UCG Musician

2 answers to this question

You can easily keep settings, like program and control change, and the actual music in separate clips and then shuffle clips between projects by copy/paste or drag'n'drop.

The other way is to keep your synth settings in separate clips on different tracks and use archive/un-archive track.

• Thanks 1