Silly keyboard shortcut question

JoseC

Also helpful...

To navigate between docked windows

Do one of the following:

- Click the desired tab.

- Hold down the SHIFT and CTRL keys and press the LEFT ARROW or RIGHT ARROW key.

To expand a docked window

- To expand a docked window so it fills the Track view, double-click the window’s tab or press SHIFT+D.

- To restore the view to it’s original docked size, double-click the tab again.

Thanks a lot for your replies, but I already know and use those. My question is about changing focus from one to the other. Like focus is in Track view and I want to change focus to the docked PRV (with the dock open) and back without having to click with the mouse.

Edited by JoseC

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

Press Alt + 2 (open console) and then Alt + 3 (open PRV)
It seems changing focus from track view to PRV.

Well, maybe I am not explaining myself too well. I already have the PRV open and docked. Docker at the bottom half of the screen. I am looking for a shortcut  to shift focus from the bottom half (PRV in the docker) to the Clips pane in Track View and back. If the PRV is already open, and focus is in the Track View,  Alt + 3 does not shift focus to the PRV.  The only way to do it that I see is clicking with the mouse. 

I believe your out of luck there jose. I believe I know what you want to do but it aint happening.

Is it when you have focus in track view, you want to open PRV..but you need to click first in the PRV to change focus to the PRV ? And vice versa ?

This has been an issue I have faced over the years as well, but we just aren't there yet. Hopefully someday we will. I see this most when switching from TV to PRV and I want to scroll, I first need to establish focus by clicking with the mouse before it will scroll.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I believe your out of luck there jose. I believe I know what you want to do but it aint happening.

Is it when you have focus in track view, you want to open PRV..but you need to click first in the PRV to change focus to the PRV ? And vice versa ?

This has been an issue I have faced over the years as well, but we just aren't there yet. Hopefully someday we will. I see this most when switching from TV to PRV and I want to scroll, I first need to establish focus by clicking with the mouse before it will scroll.

Strange - scrolling actually works for me. Top half of screen is TV, bottom half is docked PRV. Simply moving the mouse cursor from one to the other (no clicking) allows me to scroll in the window containing the cursor. It also works going from the Track part of the TV to the Bus Pane.

Edited: OK, I do see a problem, but it's tangled up with another problem. Shift-ESC clears the selection. If the TV has the focus, this works. But if the PRV has the focus (by clicking in it), then Shift-ESC doesn't work, which I reported as a bug in the Early Access thread. Moving the mouse cursor doesn't change anything for this operation. So maybe there are other actions that require clicking to give definite focus to the TV or PRV. But scrolling does seem to work without clicking.

Edited by PeterMc

4 hours ago, PeterMc said:

Strange - scrolling actually works for me. Top half of screen is TV, bottom half is docked PRV. Simply moving the mouse cursor from one to the other (no clicking) allows me to scroll in the window containing the cursor. It also works going from the Track part of the TV to the Bus Pane.

Edited: OK, I do see a problem, but it's tangled up with another problem. Shift-ESC clears the selection. If the TV has the focus, this works. But if the PRV has the focus (by clicking in it), then Shift-ESC doesn't work, which I reported as a bug in the Early Access thread. Moving the mouse cursor doesn't change anything for this operation. So maybe there are other actions that require clicking to give definite focus to the TV or PRV. But scrolling does seem to work without clicking.

Yes, the problem is shifting focus to edit using just the keyboard. Now that you mention this, how do you scroll the TV without clicking? The only shortcuts I find and use are CTL+Page up/down, but this moves the Now Time, too, not like the Left/Right arrows that scroll the PRV leaving the Now Time where it is. Or you mean using CTL + mousewheel?

Yes, I mean CTL + mousewheel for horizontal scrolling, or just mousewheel for vertical scrolling. Just noticed that CTL + left/right arrows (horizontal zoom) doesn't work by just moving the cursor. You need to click to change the focus. As you say, left/right arrows scroll the PRV but not the TV at all (be nice if this worked), and CTL + Page up/down requires a click to change focus but does work in both TV and PRV. This all seems a little inconsistent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PeterMc said:

Yes, I mean CTL + mousewheel for horizontal scrolling, or just mousewheel for vertical scrolling. Just noticed that CTL + left/right arrows (horizontal zoom) doesn't work by just moving the cursor. You need to click to change the focus. As you say, left/right arrows scroll the PRV but not the TV at all (be nice if this worked), and CTL + Page up/down requires a click to change focus but does work in both TV and PRV. This all seems a little inconsistent.

Yes, that is basically my point. I think that the default keyboard shortcuts really need an overhaul and proper documentation.

7 hours ago, PeterMc said:

hover + scroll [up/down] works here, too, between track view and multidock. My default is the console, but docked staff view and event list worked, too).

Thanks for this wonderful time-saving tip!

17 hours ago, JoseC said:

If the PRV is already open, and focus is in the Track View,  Alt + 3 does not shift focus to the PRV.  The only way to do it that I see is clicking with the mouse. 

Yes, only Pressing Alt + 3 does not shift focus to the PRV.
But Alt + 3 after pressing Alt + 2 shifts focus to the PRV.

2 hours ago, JoseC said:

I think that the default keyboard shortcuts really need an overhaul and proper documentation

Yea I wouldn't say an overhaul. Because many of us have worked years to become familiar with these shortcuts.

but this PRV/TV focus things definitely needs to be considered. Im with you, I hate clicking in an area to set focus, I know sometimes its necessary but it stinks.

I do believe though that the focus thing is that way for a reason, im sure someone else might complain changing this will interfere with their way of working :)