Sending output to two audio devices simultaneously

Keith Wessel

Question

Hi,

I'm a long ago (15-20 years) Cakewalk user who's getting back into it. Sadly, I also long ago got rid of most of my gear, and I'm trying to start small before I do much investing. That leads me to my problem. I'm trying to do some small production work using a couple USB headsets. I'll be recording two people, both at the same time, and since they'll both be wearing the headsets, I want them to be able to hear themselves and the other person. I'm trying to figure out how to tell Cakewalk to send the output of both tracks to both devices at the same time. I suspect it involves something with setting up a send bux, but I can't figure out exactly what I need to be doing. Is it possible to have my audio output go to two devices simultaneously?

Thanks,

Keith

8 answers to this question

What devices are you using ?

You basically need two devices with two separate headphone jacks. It may be difficult to establish which headphone outputs receive which signal, volume in a monitor mix.

It would probably make more sense, be easier (routing wise) to just use a headphone splitter.

• Like 1

No, these are USB headsets. There's no 1/4 inch or 3mm headphone plugs to plug into a splitter. The problem is my best candidates for mics right now are boom mics built into the USB headsets. And if you're going to wear the headset to use the mic, it'd be nice if you could hear what the other person is saying which means having it come through the headphones. I could just send each mic's output to the other person's headphones, but it's often nice to be able to hear yourself, too. But no, nothing I can plug into a plitter if you're talking about a physical splitter that goes into the headhpone jack.

If this project goes well, I'm planning to invest in some decent mics, and this is no longer an issue. I just need a way to work with this for now. But it sounds like there's no way to send my master mix to multiple output devices based on what I've heard so far.

I'll second that thank you. I haven't tried the software yet, but it sounds like it could solve my problem as well as provide some other very interesting applications. I do wish there was a way to do this natively in Cakewalk, but this will work for now. Once I know I'm going to continue this production that I'm working on and I buy some decent XLR mics, I'll also get a headphone mixer with multiple outputs so I can do this the right way.

Thanks again,

Keith