SONIVOX Orchestral Companions $3.99

Starship Krupa

The sounds are surprisingly good, although they show their age by lacking legato.  There are some little extras, like some runs, that make them worth it for layering and extending  other libraries.

But they are wildly overpriced.  I got the strings for $1 a few years ago, and they all have sold for less than this.

2 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Keep in mind, they are essentially abandonware at this point. There is a reason they're on sale for so low.

Which is a shame as Sonic Implants and Sonivox were some of the first samples (albeit SoundFonts) that I used in my early projects. The drums, and concert strings were so very nice (especially the Con Sodinos which are missing from the String library in the bundle).

I picked the bundle up a few weeks ago just to sort of preserve some of these wonderful sounds. The Cinematic percussion and brass are also very nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Keep in mind, they are essentially abandonware at this point. There is a reason they're on sale for so low.

Most plugins are abandonware as far as I'm concerned.

They are 64 bit and VST, I'm guessing those standards will be supported for a little while.

I've got Waves v9 pluings from a year ago that don't work as they are Abandonware if you don't pay more than I paid for them in the first place to WUP.  

Own Strings and Brass but have never installed them (size and ilok)

1 hour ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

The Cinematic percussion and brass are also very nice.

Speaking of Cinematic Percussion, the sounds are great!

But ... the kit mapping per patch  (.svx) seems to be all over the place, due to the variety of percussion instrument samples available.

I have found no way to see what sound is assigned to each pad, in each percussion patch, without playing through the range of notes assigned to the kit. Without some sort of drum map I have no idea what I'm working with.

The sounds  for each patch are not listed in the brief User Guide.

Have you found a solution for this?

Edited by abacab

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Speaking of Cinematic Percussion, the sounds are great!

But ... the kit mapping per patch  (.svx) seems to be all over the place, due to the variety of percussion instrument samples available.

I have found no way to see what sound is assigned to each pad, in each percussion patch, without playing through the range of notes assigned to the kit. Without some sort of drum map I have no idea what I'm working with.

The sounds  for each patch are not listed in the brief User Guide.

Have you found a solution for this?

I have only played around with it briefly but noticed things were somewhat  difficult to understand initially, it has been mostly trial and error for me.

8 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I have only played around with it briefly but noticed things were somewhat  difficult to understand initially, it has been mostly trial and error for me.

Thanks for the feedback! On the plus side, the individual samples (.wav files in the Samples folder) for this particular instrument aren't locked down, so they can be imported into another sampler for playback. Build your own percussion kit!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abacab said:

This Sonivox offers many nice to great sounding instruments, but the poor UX turns people away from using it. The only Sonivox VI I have no complaints about is the Eighty Eight Ensemble piano. All other libraries are ruined by poor programming. What a drag!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Soundwise said:

This Sonivox offers many nice to great sounding instruments, but the poor UX turns people away from using it. The only Sonivox VI I have no complaints about is the Eighty Eight Ensemble piano. All other libraries are ruined by poor programming. What a drag!

Are the samples at least unencrypted? It could be worth it to try to create a Kontakt patch out of it so that owners of the instruments can at least have something functional and reliable.

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

1 hour ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Are the samples at least unencrypted? It could be worth it to try to create a Kontakt patch out of it so that owners of the instruments can at least have something functional and reliable.

I have the whole Premier bundle, and as far as I can tell, only the Big Bang Cinematic Percussion samples are unencrypted. The .wav files from its sample folder will open in any media player.

The others give errors in the player such as invalid file format, etc.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

I have the whole Premier bundle, and as far as I can tell, only the Big Bang Cinematic Percussion samples are unencrypted. The .wav files from its sample folder will open in any media player.

The others give errors in the player such as invalid file format, etc.

Welp, rest in peace. I really really hope Sonivox gets their stuff in order soon then. :(

• Like 1