multi drum takes

Silvio Gazquez

Question

i'd like to know what's the best workflow for tracking multi drum takes and being able to choose takes.  

I know how to do comping on 1 track but when you have 10 tracks I'm not seeing a way of doing this easily.

So, to make it clearer, i want to track  at least 3 takes of a 10 track drums but what is the easiest way to choose the best parts of each take?

10 answers to this question

Maybe not the best way, but I setup 4 identical folders with all the tracks/mic inputs for a take. Named oddly enough DrumsTake1, DrumsTake2, DrumsTake3 and DrumsTake4.

Mute 2, 3 and 4. Arm 1. Record. Disarm 1, Mute 1, Arm 2 record. Rinse and repeat.

Create a 5th folder (identical tracks layout). Copy-n-paste from any song section (Intro, verse etc) from a take into the same area of the 5th folder. Never only copy-paste certain tracks. Always copy-paste all track (you want the proper bleed to be retained. I do this with snap to grid on the turn off snap to jiggy the tracks at the join spot if the drummer was slightly ahead or behind the beat so a to not lose hits or have horrid double hits.   

Put your drum tracks in a folder and make sure that group tracks in folders option is set (I forget the exact option) and it will make the following easier.

If you just arm all your drum tracks and do takes like you do with one track you will get 3 takes in each lane of each drum track. Then you group those tracks and any take you select in one track will also be promoted in the grouped tracks. In addition, if you use the audiosnap markers to quantize your comped tracks you can keep them in phase by selecting all the corresponding transient markers in the grouped tracks.

Here are a couple of results from a quick search for multitrack drum editing/comping in Cakewalk

http://forum.cakewalk.com/HOW-TO-DO-I-COMP-MULTIPLE-TRACKS-AT-ONCE-Like-drums-m3554307.aspx

Edited by reginaldStjohn

First, as you probably know, do your tracking  in Comp Mode with Create New Lane and Group All Clips selected, so you wind up with your multi-mic'd takes grouped together for editing.

Then as you are listening to the playback, once you get the hang of it, Cakewalk's Comping tool is a really easy way to audition your different takes, because all you have to do to instantly solo a take and mute all the others is click in the lower half of a clip with the Comping tool. The tool takes care of all the muting and unmuting for you.

So you can pop open the lanes on just your snare track, for instance, and let the song play, maybe in loop playback if you want, while you click on whichever take you want to check out. Cakewalk will switch to that take without you having to do anything else in the other tracks as long as your clips are grouped properly from the tracking step.

Then when editing and comping, you should be able to do your work on one track while having it take effect across all the tracks due to having your clips grouped. Of course, check to make sure that this is happening as you expect it to as you go along.

13 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

First, as you probably know, do your tracking  in Comp Mode with Create New Lane and Group All Clips selected, so you wind up with your multi-mic'd takes grouped together for editing.

Then as you are listening to the playback, once you get the hang of it, Cakewalk's Comping tool is a really easy way to audition your different takes, because all you have to do to instantly solo a take and mute all the others is click in the lower half of a clip with the Comping tool. The tool takes care of all the muting and unmuting for you.

So you can pop open the lanes on just your snare track, for instance, and let the song play, maybe in loop playback if you want, while you click on whichever take you want to check out. Cakewalk will switch to that take without you having to do anything else in the other tracks as long as your clips are grouped properly from the tracking step.

Then when editing and comping, you should be able to do your work on one track while having it take effect across all the tracks due to having your clips grouped. Of course, check to make sure that this is happening as you expect it to as you go along.

Ok, i will try all that.. thanks!

• Like 1