Sonar Plat & UA Apollo FW issue with Win10 (sample rate n buffer size shuffling)

boinkeee2000

Hi, Im having this issue with sonar and apollo for the last 2 months that i nor UA has a solution for atm, maybe someone here has run into this and may help me out as i have nowhere else to turn...

I've had sonar plat and apollo for since both came out and have not had any issues like this before...it started when i upgraded to win10 from win7. everytime i open up sonar it either shows this error "The following driver(s) either do not support the current audio format, or are in use by another application", opens up normally but without detecting my interface in preference, or most frequently the buffer size and sample rate gets shuffled around (literary) while sonar is starting up (as i can see it on my UA console view)...sometimes opening up at 192 and 64, 48 and 2048, etc...really weird this never happened before...sometimes i can get it to work first time most tine times i have to turn off/on  apollo, reboot, or do different combinations of both to get it working...(i have to do a sequence of events to make it work right)

contacted UA about this but still no solution as of now, they said it must be connected to the win10 upgrade and will be working on it for the next console update...a couple of other things to mention is that sometimes upon reboot after a successful session the day before windows give message that apollo didnt turn of right or it is not compatible with sleep mode, which is weird as i have optimized my win so sleep is in "never"

another thing is that win installed an intel audio HD driver (i guess for the HDMI TV i use for a 2nd monitor) and everytime i uninstall it, it reinstalls it automatically after boot up...maybe thats interfering with the apollo somewhat...

nonetheless this unresolved issue has affected my work as i am a fulltime composer...im contemplating on moving to cubase or studio one, but i think sonar is still the best for my workflow and i have invested decades of experience (since pro audio 9) to this platform that keeps me from moving to another DAW let alone to a MAC...

hope someone can shed some light on this issue, thanks for your help

6 minutes ago, boinkeee2000 said:

another thing is that win installed an intel audio HD driver (i guess for the HDMI TV i use for a 2nd monitor) and everytime i uninstall it, it reinstalls it automatically after boot up...maybe thats interfering with the apollo somewhat...

Instead of removing the driver, try disabling the device in the Windows device manager

For whatever the worth, I use an HDMI driver for my TV, to play Windows sounds, when I am using my audio interface with Sonar/Cakewalk, and, I regularly have a friend bring his computer by for me to help him with stuff, and he brings his chassis and his Fire Studio from Presonus, and that Fire Wire audio interface has no problems having the HDMI driver for the TV running, and playing Windows sounds, while we are happily working in Cakewalk on his computer (which is using his Presonus Fire Studio interface), so I am not sure that is causing your issues.

Bob Bone

I believe UAD are having major problems with their console software across the board. I've just went through over 3 months of trouble shooting trying to upgrade software on an older win 7 system.  I wasn't able to do it and finally settled with restoring the old software after major issues with a faulty firmware upgrades. There are multiple issues with the new integrated software and devices with Windows 10 from  what I've seen on the UAD forum.

Bonkieee : Im using firewire here with my Apollo twin mk ll TB .. the firewire is for midi running from FW-410.. Sometimes not often but sometimes on boot it miss's the firewire driver causing a error and restarts and fix's it self.. I noted the error and the code I see says enough that I know its the firewire drivers in WIN 10.. In short 10 is really good , but from time to time you get some BS.. no biggie !   

thanks for all the advise folks, i dont mind to power on/off apollo...its the sample rate/buffer size shuffling thats really annoying. cause sometimes it takes 3 or more tries to get it working, looks bad in front of client. but it seems i have no choice but to wait for UA to come out with console update for this to get fixed, or just go thunderbolt in but itll be pricey upgrade for the card...also, i have disabled the intel audio driver and still no go,

Are you sure the problem is with the interface? It could be, of course. But it would most likely be an issue with its driver (as opposed to a hardware problem or with the firewire port). I'm sure you've already verified with Apollo that you have the right driver for Windows 10.

Another possibility is that something is running that wants to own the Win10 audio subsystem. When you migrated from W7 to W10 it will have re-enabled some services and features that you probably had turned off before. Win10 is like that...I've had it, for example, re-enable my motherboard's integrated audio interface as part of a W10 update (resulting in similar symptoms to what you're describing).

When SONAR attempts to set the interface's sample rate, it won't necessarily know why (or even if) the operation has failed. That's why you get such a vague error message - too many possible explanations and the driver ain't talkin'. Examine your background processes and see if there might be something monopolizing the interface.

Just an idea...have you tried switching to something other than ASIO as an experiment? If, say, WDM didn't exhibit the problem then you could at least eliminate the interface as the problem. Or if shared-mode WASAPI works, that could suggest a software conflict, e.g. some other process laying claim to the audio driver.

thanks for all the replies folks...i just got an email from UA and they have resolved this issue which will be added to the next update . . they also emailed me a link of the updated software to get it resolved immediately. for anyone whos having the same issues just email them for the updated software to get it now...thanks again...

update: uninstalled apollo plugins and drivers, then installed update...looks like its fixed now. also I figured out the pesky random deep sleep message error was due to the "fast start" option of windows 10, and/or also might be due to the ethernet driver going to sleep...i since unticked those options in control panel and so far no messages from startup...for those who need help with "sleep issue" just search (disable fast start on win10)...

Edited by boinkeee2000