No action from MIDI controller

Stephen Simmons

No idea if I'm missing a step or what. I've been using the program for 30+ years. I just swap some things around and open up a test project added  3 virtual instruments. Cakewalk SI strings Dimension Pro and the Amber piano module.

Midi preference is set for the keystation 88 USB the input is keystation 88 USB Omni. Record button is on the little sound button beside that is on. I tap the keys with the cursor and I hear the piano I don't hear or see anything when I press the keys on the key station. Is this just Alzheimer's?

Thanks guys.

WSS

1 hour ago, scook said:

Try renaming TTSSEQ.ini in your user directory. For CbB the default location for the user directory is %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core.

Hey Scook. Change it to what? 

I was looking for the options pull down but I don't see it. In preferences I checked everything that said USB key station.

Thanks

WSS

I wonder if perhaps you have accidentally plugged in your midi controller to a different USB port, OR perhaps moved a different USB device to another USB port.  This would cause Windows to internally renumber its notion of what devices are plugged into what, and it would no longer match what was internally mapped by Cakewalk when you had that/those midi device(s) plugged into their original USB ports.

Just looking at the devices in Preferences, you would not see that the internal mapping of midi devices to ports had changed, but you CAN see if there were port changes that were made at some point in the past, by going into Windows Device Manager, then going into the View tab, clicking on Show Hidden Devices, and then expanding the Sound, Video, and Game Controllers category in the device 'tree' in Device Manager.  If you had/have moved midi devices to any different USB ports, you would see at least 2 displays for a given device - with the entry for its currently active entry being darker in appearance than any 'ghost entries' for the same device.  Those ghost entries are for whatever port it USED to be plugged into at some point in the past.

I know on MY system, my friend had accidentally unplugged my USB-connected audio interface, and when he plugged it back in, he put it into a different USB port, and that caused me to pull my hair out for a WHILE, trying to figure out why no midi activity was being detected in Cakewalk, despite my seeing the device listed and checked, as a midi input device in Preferences.  I had to DE-select it, I think I then restarted Cakewalk, and then selected it again as a midi input device in Preferences, and now it internally picked up the mapping by Windows, for the current USB port it was connected to, and THAT is when it started being able to detect midi activity in Cakewalk, for that midi controller.

SO - just a thought, 

Bob Bone

Scook I will try that today.

Bob if the rename doesn't help I will try going in and seeing where there might be multiple instances of the key station. Maybe just delete them both and reinstall it. Doesn't seem like I've changed USB ports in a long long time though. You are running Windows 10 right? 

Thank you gentlemen.

WSS

On 9/28/2019 at 6:04 PM, scook said:

Try renaming TTSSEQ.ini in your user directory. For CbB the default location for the user directory is %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core.

Just changed it. Restarting computer.

Opening Cakewalk by bandlab. Opening midi test project. Input no longer shows USB key station. Off to preferences MIDI. Check the boxes for USB keystation move to top. Hit apply.. close. Back to project. Input now USB keystation 88 is visible I selected it and select it Omni..

Drum roll.....

And it works!

Thanks again guys.

Westside Steve

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stephen Simmons said:

Just changed it. Restarting computer.

Opening Cakewalk by bandlab. Opening midi test project. Input no longer shows USB key station. Off to preferences MIDI. Check the boxes for USB keystation move to top. Hit apply.. close. Back to project. Input now USB keystation 88 is visible I selected it and select it Omni..

Drum roll.....

And it works!

Thanks again guys.

Westside Steve

SO - this appears to be the same sort of issue I was having with my own midi controller - (I only have a single one connected to the computer I use for recording), where Cakewalk and Sonar Platinum both saw the controller, and I could see right in front of me, that the USB cable for that midi controller to connect to the computer had not been moved to a different USB port.  (it uses a port on the top of the computer chassis, and it never moved).  Well, that midi controller would NOT produce any midi data within either Cakewalk or Sonar Platinum, but worked just wonderfully in stand-alone synths.

I eventually figured out that one of my friends that came over for some mentoring in Cakewalk, had accidentally disconnected the USB cable, on the computer's back panel, that went to the audio interface.  I had immediately seen that the power/connection light for the interface had turned off, and I directed him to plug the audio interface USB cable back into the computer.  THAT is where I sometime later realized neither Cakewalk or Sonar Platinum was detecting any midi controller data.  It completely had me baffled, because I KNEW the midi controller USB cable had not been moved.

SO - because the audio interface had been plugged into the computer's back panel, into a DIFFERENT USB port, it caused Windows to shift its internal mapping of what devices were plugged into which USB ports, and this then severed the connection within Cakewalk and Platinum, and THAT is why the midi data was no longer being detected.

My solution/work-around was to remove the check designating that midi controller as a midi Input Device in Preferences (both Cakewalk/Platinum), then hit Apply, (I think at that point I also restarted Cakewalk and then later, Platinum), and then went back into Preferences to again designate the midi controller as a Midi Input Device.  Everything worked fine thereafter.

VERY happy you are back in business, 

Bob Bone

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stephen Simmons said:

Looks like I have to go into core and change the TTSSEQ every time CW by BL updates itself.

Okay.

WSS

Seems like if that was the case, I would expect to have seen all kinds of posts about it, whenever new Cakewalk versions showed up.

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Seems like if that was the case, I would expect to have seen all kinds of posts about it, whenever new Cakewalk versions showed up.

Bob Bone

Well I just did a cakewalk update and it reverted to the old file name which I went back and changed again then reset the device. And it works again.

WSS

hi bob thanks for the quick reply but I already tried that. I went to my program files and found it and renamed and restarted but still no joy.

its not been working since I upgraded my pc last month I redone the hack to get the audio working but I cant use the midi for some reason.

29 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

You should paste %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core into the address bar of File Explorer, and it should take you directly to a hidden folder, in which you should find TTSSEQ.INI  

Bob Bone

I done what you said found it and renamed it to MINE hit enter restarted my pc and had to reselect it as a controller but still nothing. it shows up with the 8 green markers on the channels but cant cant select or press play or do anything.  its so annoying lol

21 hours ago, W.j said:

I done what you said found it and renamed it to MINE hit enter restarted my pc and had to reselect it as a controller but still nothing. it shows up with the 8 green markers on the channels but cant cant select or press play or do anything.  its so annoying lol

In Windows 10 I just want to drive C program files Cakewalk user and core scroll down and found that file and changed manually. When you went back into preferences and selected those things did you make sure to hit apply?

WSS

Hi guys. This is getting weirder and weirder. Now all of a sudden after I change the TTS seq the USB key station is not working again. I can't wait to preferences I checked the boxes on midi devices. I check the input hit apply and I get a message saying midi device failure USB keystation 88 ES. The message says the following MIDI Port could not be enabled the ports or Main unchecked in MIDI devices preferences. That it says device name USB keystation 88 and reason as reported by Windows there is not enough memory available.

(I also have a Behringer X touch but I haven't even turned it on for tracking.)

Does this make sense gentleman? Thank you for your time and patience.

( it was actually working before albeit with the latency between the key hit in the sound now it won't even load up)

WSS

PS would it have anything to do with when I turn on the key station before I turn on the computer or after? I ask because if I turn on or off the Behringer while the computer is running it screws things up.

■ didn't make any difference same error■

Edit went to device manager show hidden devices found the USB key station check the drivers it is working properly and the drivers are supposedly up-to-date.

Edited by Stephen Simmons

Your symptoms sure seem to me like devices were saved in their projects with Cakewalk associating them to particular USB ports, and then, later,  some USB device(s) got shifted to a different USB port, and that then resulted in Windows having NEW internal associations of what devices were in which ports, and thereafter, Cakewalk's internal mapping was not the same for your Keystation 88, and that would be why it looks dead in the water to Cakewalk, but plays fine outside of Cakewalk (like if you launched some stand-alone synth and played notes on the Keystation 88, and they played).

I always have my USB-connected midi devices connected and turned on when I boot my computer, so I do not know if it changes things internally if connected devices are power up in any particular order, in case that is another way the internal mapping in Windows could change.  (I do not know one way or the other if this makes any difference).

Moving USB devices to different ports has been a giant scary no-no, with regard to Sonar/Cakewalk, since I can remember.  I always keep the same midi devices plugged into the same USB ports, for that very reason, and I have literally taken pictures of the back panel of my computers, over the years, as a picture record of which ports were used, and what colored cable went where.  Some folks make up little tiny labels and tape them next to each of the ports, so they know what should get plugged in where.  Others make up a little hand-drawn picture or chart, showing which devices are plugged into which USB ports....

When a USB-connected device DOES move to a different port, a 'ghost entry' can be seen in Device Manager, if the option to display hidden items is checked.  So, there would be 2 or more (depending on how many times a device was moved to a different USB port), entries - one darker one, and one or more fainter ones (ghosts).  It used to be that Windows would run out of room in whatever little construct it used to keep track of that stuff, and folks would have to go on a search and destroy mission, to first be able to see those ghost entries, and then delete all but the dark 'active' listing for each device in Device Manager......

I believe the renaming of TTSEQ.INI was intended to reset some of Cakewalk's parameters, (such as the active devices and such).  Cakewalk creates a brand new TTSEQ.INI if there isn't one in place when it starts.  I don't use that technique - I tend to be very careful not to move USB-connected devices around, and if I find that I have done that, I tend to put things back where they belong, and then restart Cakewalk, and that usually takes care of it.  I also have my picture of the back panel of the computer, or a little chart I created for myself, to know where things are intended to be plugged in.

SO - sometimes, even though the NAME of a midi device might show up in Preferences, and be checked as Active, you can't tell from that if that underlying internal mapping has been altered by some USB port shifting, because no matter what port it is plugged into, its default-name would look the same in Preferences.

I am sorry that I don't recall more of the 'how to fix it' info - this is something that literally only happens a couple of times in many years for me.  Perhaps someone else can explain things better, or have some clear and precise method for resolving your issues (assuming they are indeed caused by a change in the internal USB device/port associations Windows creates).

Or, maybe I got it all wrong in the first place, and none of the above has any bearing on what has happened to cause what you are going through.

On Thursday, I can spend some time, trying to test the above, and will try to help you get your issues resolved, if you are still having these issues at that point.  There MUST be a way to get this fixed for you.

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Your symptoms sure seem to me like devices were saved in their projects with Cakewalk associating them to particular USB ports, and then, later,  some USB device(s) got shifted to a different USB port, and that then resulted in Windows having NEW internal associations of what devices were in which ports, and thereafter, Cakewalk's internal mapping was not the same for your Keystation 88, and that would be why it looks dead in the water to Cakewalk, but plays fine outside of Cakewalk (like if you launched some stand-alone synth and played notes on the Keystation 88, and they played).

I always have my USB-connected midi devices connected and turned on when I boot my computer, so I do not know if it changes things internally if connected devices are power up in any particular order, in case that is another way the internal mapping in Windows could change.  (I do not know one way or the other if this makes any difference).

Moving USB devices to different ports has been a giant scary no-no, with regard to Sonar/Cakewalk, since I can remember.  I always keep the same midi devices plugged into the same USB ports, for that very reason, and I have literally taken pictures of the back panel of my computers, over the years, as a picture record of which ports were used, and what colored cable went where.  Some folks make up little tiny labels and tape them next to each of the ports, so they know what should get plugged in where.  Others make up a little hand-drawn picture or chart, showing which devices are plugged into which USB ports....

When a USB-connected device DOES move to a different port, a 'ghost entry' can be seen in Device Manager, if the option to display hidden items is checked.  So, there would be 2 or more (depending on how many times a device was moved to a different USB port), entries - one darker one, and one or more fainter ones (ghosts).  It used to be that Windows would run out of room in whatever little construct it used to keep track of that stuff, and folks would have to go on a search and destroy mission, to first be able to see those ghost entries, and then delete all but the dark 'active' listing for each device in Device Manager......

I believe the renaming of TTSEQ.INI was intended to reset some of Cakewalk's parameters, (such as the active devices and such).  Cakewalk creates a brand new TTSEQ.INI if there isn't one in place when it starts.  I don't use that technique - I tend to be very careful not to move USB-connected devices around, and if I find that I have done that, I tend to put things back where they belong, and then restart Cakewalk, and that usually takes care of it.  I also have my picture of the back panel of the computer, or a little chart I created for myself, to know where things are intended to be plugged in.

SO - sometimes, even though the NAME of a midi device might show up in Preferences, and be checked as Active, you can't tell from that if that underlying internal mapping has been altered by some USB port shifting, because no matter what port it is plugged into, its default-name would look the same in Preferences.

I am sorry that I don't recall more of the 'how to fix it' info - this is something that literally only happens a couple of times in many years for me.  Perhaps someone else can explain things better, or have some clear and precise method for resolving your issues (assuming they are indeed caused by a change in the internal USB device/port associations Windows creates).

Or, maybe I got it all wrong in the first place, and none of the above has any bearing on what has happened to cause what you are going through.

On Thursday, I can spend some time, trying to test the above, and will try to help you get your issues resolved, if you are still having these issues at that point.  There MUST be a way to get this fixed for you.

Bob Bone

Very kind of you Bob, thank you. I did see the device in device manager and clicked on show hidden items but I only saw one. I don't think the USB plug has ever been moved but maybe a long long time ago which should have manifested itself before? I wonder if I should just go in and remove the keystation all together and reinstall?

WSS

So I unplugged the keystation turned off the computer. Went into device manager show hidden. Found the keystation an uninstalled. Shut down the computer. Restarted and it showed no keystation. Turn it off again plugged in the keystation and started up. It has apparently reinstalled, opened up the project went to preferences and got the same lack of memory failure report

WSS