SOLVED: Sonar has stopped recording MIDI?

pax-eterna

Set up a MIDI track, setup an instrument, keyboard is recognised and the LED bars are flashing to show input, track set to record press the R key (or even record button in main transport control) everything starts BUT no MIDI data is recorded to the track?

Is there some new method in recording MIDI? Or is there some hidden switch or setting somewhere that I have changed (inadvertently) ?

Thanks

Edited by pax-eterna

Do you hear the instrument play, when the midi track is in focus (select the midi track by clicking on the track number, and be default, Sonar/Cakewalk should produce audible sound coming through the audio track(s) associated with the audio output from the synth.

Is the midi Input for the midi track set to None (Omni)? (suggest using None/Omni). 

Are the notes pressed on the midi controller within the playable range of the synth's loaded instrument?

Is the midi controller plugged into a different USB port on the computer, by chance?

(The above are just some guesses - my blood sugar is a bit low at the moment, so I will have to think things over, when I can think better after my blood sugar stabilizes).

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, pax-eterna said:

Set up a MIDI track, setup an instrument, keyboard is recognised and the LED bars are flashing to show input, track set to record press the R key (or even record button in main transport control) everything starts BUT no MIDI data is recorded to the track?

Is there some new method in recording MIDI? Or is there some hidden switch or setting somewhere that I have changed (inadvertently) ?

Thanks

Is the soft synth connected to the MIDI track? This would be my first guess

4 hours ago, pax-eterna said:

thanks Cactus - good thought...I having issues lately in accidentally creating these in a project with inadvertent key presses so I will look further in and see if that is the case.

I have two cats, and the kitten invariably will saunter over and begin to do battle with imaginary mice, anytime I am working in Cakewalk.  She is a GENIUS at managing to step on the computer keyboard - to come up with THE most destructive sequence of keys possible, and I always am terrified she has done something that I miss seeing, that affects the project in some kind of bite me in the rear way.

Bob Bone

ok checked all of the above (including any hidden loop points)  and all is clear. All is connected, the graph (LED) on the right of the track pane shows MIDI activity, it is all set to the correct channel, I can actually play the synth involved, it simply does not record!!

So after much checking etc, I finally found why - the ALLOW ARM CHANGES DURING PLAYBACK/RECORDING in Recording options was unchecked! I thought it odd that the main record button in the transport bar was not changing to red when I was pressing the R key- only just noticed it tbh...so I went looking the in  project record options and then checked that box and it is now recording again.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Edited by pax-eterna
  • Like 1