Beware of Aux Tracks they can cause dropouts

gmp

I've had a few posts trying to solve some dropout problems I've had for about a year. It turns out it's caused by turning the Input Echo on an Aux Track off. On my template I have an Aux Track and the input echo button is on. But I also use input echo to trigger 2 tracks at the same time -  a piano and a bass. That's also set to "on" in my template. 

At times I want to turn the input echo off, especially i I cloned those tracks and have several now "on". So I always use the global icon in the Control Bar to turn off all input echo buttons, unfortunately it also turns off the input echo button on the Aux Track.

Here how you create an Aux Track: 
right click bus in bus pane - Insert send - choose new Aux Track
Now look in the track pane and you see a new track named - Aux 1. This is the track that the Input Echo must be set to "on" otherwise there will be a recording dropout at 2:08 or 4:17

This has also fixed a long standing problem I've had with when I leave CbB and then come back about 5 min later I see a dropout message at the lower bottom right. Last night I tested it with a stopwatch and the dropout comes right at 4:17 every time, if the Input Echo button is off. If it's on, I never get that dropout. So this has solved 2 long standing mysteries for me.

The bottom line is Aux Tracks are great, as long as you understand this strange little quirk. This happens regardless of whether you're actually using the Aux Track in your project. If it's there in the Track Pane then it can cause this problem.

1 hour ago, gmp said:

On my template I have an Aux Track and the input echo button is on.

Can you share that template? As noted in the other thread, I tried to repro this issue, and could not. Just curious what the full recipe is.

You should formally report it to Cakewalk if you haven't already so they can fix it.

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket

EDIT: I see you replied in the other thread, and the Aux send is from a Bus. I'll try that.

Edited by David Baay