What have you got your eye on?

jude77

47 minutes ago, Triangleman said:

Waves Abbey Road bundle for cheaper than it's been lately.

And an analog delay for my little phatty. Test driving a Boss dm-2w this weekend and looking at a Chase Bliss Tonal Recall on CL.  Or trying to fix my EHX deluxe memory boy that is getting skitzy.

Waves Abbey Road bundle is only $153.92 at everyplugin.com using the code FEST40

I stopped looking for the best DAW since I got Cubase on their anniversary sale this summer. I tried almost every other DAW and Cubase is the best, and has everything I need and a whole lot that I don't.

Upgrading to MCompleteBundle on Melda's recent anniversary sale made me completely lose interest in any extramarital effect affairs. One one hand I wish I'd found them sooner, on the other I'm aware that only after digging through the whole garbage dump and gold mine and trying most notable brands am I able to appreciate what, and how, Melda does. I love using them, and I love not caring about the new shiny stuff that's on sale from other vendors. Have new shiny toy? I have MXXX. Try to impress me.

The only things I care about now are samples and HALion and SampleTank expansions, and FM synths, which all I have plenty of too. Mostly keeping an eye out for vocal sound patches and rare instruments, with obscure tunings.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ZincT said:

If only I did Piotr 😎 

I would like the window resizing like Fleer. 

What would be great is if iZotope sent Zo a pre-release copy for one of his in-depth video reviews 🤞🏻

There's a discussion over on KVR --> https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=532245&hilit=ozone+9 

I will happily do one , to cover also the misunderstood art of mastering at the same time ...

• Great Idea 1

8 minutes ago, sarine said:

I stopped looking for the best DAW since I got Cubase on their anniversary sale this summer. I tried almost every other DAW and Cubase is the best, and has everything I need and a whole lot that I don't.

I've never looked for "the best".  I have them ALL except Studio One Pro 4...
I only have Artist, and the upgrade to Pro is what I'm after...dirt cheap.
I agree that Cubase is slightly ahead of the curve, but you'll never convince
S1 Fanboys of that...ever...or fanboys of any other DAW, as, to them,
THEIRS is always "The Best"!  And THAT is what this is all about!  
What works best for YOU!

20 minutes ago, cclarry said:

What works best for YOU!

Don't wantto go off topic , but i won both , Cubase is deep super , but it lacks a lot when it come to creative tools ... can't extract chord form audio , can't combine  and route fx and instruments like i can in S1 , can't put an fx on clips , console view , can't handle what's displayed via track manager if it's docked to track view , plugin manager , picture of vertical plugins is ENOURMOUS ... so i tend to not do it helas ... interface is so  ...german ... and looking for function leds you to endless menu , i don't even talk about macros that are not availlable in a dock but vie menus !!! Ect ....small stuff here and there that can be annoying ... so saying cubase is the best daw or this daws is the best is meh ...

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, sarine said:

Upgrading to MCompleteBundle on Melda's recent anniversary sale made me completely lose interest in any extramarital effect affairs.

That gave me a chuckle, but it is accurate. The sticker price is a bit intimidating, but you can one-off your way into it and once done, there is no upgrade train. 

Personally, I am curious what O9 will bring to the table, but no real wish list much anymore. It is cheaper/easier to live vicariously.

22 minutes ago, cclarry said:

What works best for YOU!

I don't want to own more software than I actually have use for. I couldn't possibly put them all to use and hope to be productive shuffling between them.

Studio One is great. I was actually going to get that one, because I demo'ed it and it allowed me to be instantly productive. But the trial ran out, and by the time I could afford the full version, coincidentally Cubase was on sale, so I checked it out, and it did nearly everything that I liked about Studio One. The rest of the decision was based on a few things: familiarity with Cubase (version 3 or 5) and its backward compatibility (I have some old projects), good reputation, senior agent in the business, renowned for its MIDI editing facilities (I work mostly with MIDI), and the videos I watched. I thought Cubase's development had become stagnant, but version 10 looked every bit as modern as any other DAW (most importantly; Studio One).

Another thing is that Studio One crashed every now and then on my computer. Honestly, all of them (DAW's) crash here and there. Cubase has crashed once so far, during almost four months of use. It doesn't prove anything, and I couldn't possibly know it beforehand because I couldn't demo the thing without the dongle, but I'm damn happy about the stability regardless.

Feature-wise, I think I would do fine with Studio One. I like simple stuff, simple tools, my workflow and my methods are very simple. I just click in MIDI and adjust parameters in the mixer and instrument and effect windows, plot automations, and so forth. Bread & Butter stuff for me. But simple, little things, when done properly or improperly may ruin or save your day. What I like in both Cubase and Studio One is the responsiveness of the UI and especially the piano roll, and moving between different work spaces such as the arranger, piano roll and mixer.

Fanboyism is idiotic - these are tools that you use. You use them because they do what you want, not because the high priest demands a sacrifice. If you find something better, you make a judgement on whether the transition is worth your time and money. The longer you've been using a tool, less likely that is to be the case.

I just can't imagine a feature that another DAW could innovate that would make me interested, and most likely that is because they don't exist (or are too scarce to waste any thought on) - I've found a comfortable way of working and Cubase accommodates it the best.

And for the record it's common sense to presume that any vague opinionated statement is just that; an opinionated statement, with vagueness implying the author's awareness of its subjectivity. I never said Cubase is the best, just that it's the best for me, which is as close as we can get to a statement being factual, as the statement is about my preferences.

• Like 1

My want to buy list is a bit odd.  Some may be things that never go on sale:

Jack Smalley's books
http://www.jacksmalley.com/books.html
(Composing Music For Film was what I was watching but the new book looks interesting too)

The Sampling Handbook
https://www.thesamplinghandbook.com/

Hollywood Sound IR - Numerical Sound
http://www.numericalsound.com/hollywood-sound-ir.html

And Jaeger (Essential Modern Orchestra for Kontakt) (but I want it for $250 or less)

• Like 2

Ozone 9 Advanced

BFD4

Studio One 5

pretty much all I am wanting/waiting for, but there are probably a few other things that when they do pop up I would grab straight away, I would be interested to see what Amplitube 5 will be like etc. Not really anything that is currently available which I don't already own interests me much.

6 hours ago, sarine said:

Upgrading to MCompleteBundle on Melda's recent anniversary sale made me completely lose interest in any extramarital effect affairs. One one hand I wish I'd found them sooner, on the other I'm aware that only after digging through the whole garbage dump and gold mine and trying most notable brands am I able to appreciate what, and how, Melda does. I love using them, and I love not caring about the new shiny stuff that's on sale from other vendors. Have new shiny toy? I have MXXX. Try to impress me.

The only things I care about now are samples and HALion and SampleTank expansions, and FM synths, which all I have plenty of too. Mostly keeping an eye out for vocal sound patches and rare instruments, with obscure tunings.

I also bought the Melda complete bundle. Have you checked out MDrummer? Pretty cool. Takes a sec to get everything downloaded and working, but worth investigating if you haven't.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/mdrummer-packs

Edited by Gswitz

Fleer, I'm a bit of a simpleton. 🙂 

Years ago I picked up the Melda mastering bundle and I found many things to like. Several of the plugins became my most frequently used.

MAutoAlign (I record acoustic instruments playing at the same time often and this is a huge help).

MSpectralDynamics (There have been many discussions on this, especially Bit Flipper's article. It's kinda like a multi-band compressor that has a very deep threshold, low ration and is always on... mixed back with the original track to taste. 

MLimiter-MultiBand.

These things were my favorites. I would sometimes use the convolution verb as well.

From there, I grew to slowly expand my interests and decided to take advantage of the discounted complete. When you buy the smaller bundles, Melda will give your credit towards the complete based on what you have purchased so far.

* MWobbler was also another early purchase I find amusing.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Thanks 1