Lost presets - added documents to the VST scan in plugin manager

AB7

So, I lost quite a few hours last night as almost all my presets were gone!

Finally, I found a bunch under "documents" in the computer.

I added "documents" as a folder in the VST scan and that saved the day.

But why did this happen?  And after a reinstall of CWB, why did not it not search for these presets in documents automatically?  I just do not get it.

Anyway, maybe this helps someone else.  Or maybe someone else has better advice for me.

Sorry to hear that, but what you are describing is a bit unclear. For instance, most of the time, VSTs that the DAW uses are separate from the presets that are saved from/by/for them.  I would be worried about needing to add a documents folder as a VST scan source. -Yes, there will likely be presets saved in the documents folder, but it's not normal to place/source the VST dll file(s) there.

Are you sure you didn't somehow move the VST files to the documents folder(s) somehow, or delete the ones in their original location(s) at first? Did you mean that you also lost the VST instruments as well as the presets at first? -It's a bit confusing.

22 hours ago, Alan Bachman said:

And after a reinstall of CWB, why did not it not search for these presets in documents automatically?

A VST search path in CbB is only for the VST .dll files, -not the presets. The 2 items are not the same thing. Normally, VST .dlls are not located in a typical documents folder.

Edited by JnTuneTech
clarifications...

16 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

Sorry to hear that, but what you are describing is a bit unclear. For instance, most of the time, VSTs that the DAW uses are separate from the presets that are saved from/by/for them.  I would be worried about needing to add a documents folder as a VST scan source. -Yes, there will likely be presets saved in the documents folder, but it's not normal to place/source the VST dll file(s) there.

Are you sure you didn't somehow move the VST files to the documents folder(s) somehow, or delete the ones in their original location(s) at first? Did you mean that you also lost the VST instruments as well as the presets at first? -It's a bit confusing.

Normally, VST files are not located in a typical documents folder.

I did not lose the presets until I installed the latest UAD software.  I wonder if it is  bug in it.  Thank you.

Edited by Alan Bachman