Docking Station for Samples/Projects?

sadicus

Most docking stations (connected via USB) have firmware that puts drives to sleep after a brief period of inactivity.

Unfortunately, there's no means of disabling this "sleep" feature.

External eSATA enclosures typically don't put the drives to sleep.

If you're going to use a conventional HD for projects, I'd go with a 3.5" drive (higher performance).

If you' going to use SSD, it's a moot point.

5 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

Most docking stations (connected via USB) have firmware that puts drives to sleep after a brief period of inactivity.

Unfortunately, there's no means of disabling this "sleep" feature.

External eSATA enclosures typically don't put the drives to sleep.

If you're going to use a conventional HD for projects, I'd go with a 3.5" drive (higher performance).

If you' going to use SSD, it's a moot point.

Thanks for the information Jim. You're always helpful in steering us novices in the right direction for hardware

• Like 1

Something else to consider:

I have just ordered two combined 2,5" & 3,5" sata6 hotswap enlosures which fit into a 5,25" bay for this purpose, rather than the usb docking stations for reasons mentioned above..(google: delock 47209)

My plan is to use an ssd for recording on the pc in our band-room which i can then take home to work on.

(I'm not quite sure if i should put an extra partition on the ssd for my samples so that any samples used in the mix are always referring to the same samples/directory, or if i should just keep mirror-images of my samples on both pc's....)

Assuming the OP is running a desktop/tower,  there's numerous solutions.

ie:  You can get a single 5.25" bay that has four removable 2.5" trays for SSDs (for SSDs in a single 5.25" bay).

If the OP is running a laptop or small form-factor machine, there may be zero internal expansion.

If the OP is running a laptop/SFF machine that has Thunderbolt-3, using an external Thunderbolt drive enclosure is also an option (albeit somewhat expensive).