Memory Usage

T on Y

My PC has 16gb of RAM and when CbyB is first ran it reports 1.7GB of memory used (9%) thats 43 background process and 84 windows processes !!

Is it an idea to mess about with these to free up ram or is it more trouble than its worth ??

Edited by T on Y

8 hours ago, T on Y said:

My PC has 16gb of RAM and when CbyB is first ran it reports 1.7GB of memory used (9%) thats 43 background process and 84 windows processes !!

Is it an idea to mess about with these to free up ram or is it more trouble than its worth ??

Don't worry too much about RAM unless your maxing out from loading up large sample packs/large amounts of VST's plug ins. This has always been my theory anyway.

The second you start messing with settings, you add one more element to the equation of troubleshoot once something goes array.

It is common process however, to kill off any unwanted resources running/sucking up RAM in the background. You want all RAM available being used by CbB (not including Windows processes).

Edited by Chuck E Baby

2 hours ago, T on Y said:

My 2 cents and it worked for me for over 30 years. If its working the way you want it to work, do not mess with it.  If you are having issues and problems, then you need to start troubleshooting why you are having those issues.

• Like 1

According to Task Manager CbB uses 90Mb for a new project using the  "Basic" template.

At the time running, Task Manager showed:

• 4.3GB Used
  • 175 Processes

Closing down CbB resulted in Task Manager showing:

• 4.1GB Used
  • 174 Processes

So CbB doesn't seem to be hogging any memory or processes from what I can see.