Making short edits from full-length track

Gary Shore

Question

New to CbBL,been doing a lot of studying YouTube tutorials along w/the Ref Guide/documentation etc and starting to develop a sense of how to do things ..

Looking for info/tips/advice on making edits where the focus is on getting very precise start/end times ..

I've figured out how to do it using a combination of Audio Transient Markers/grid lines/setting markers/selecting clips/checking the selection using LOOP etc but I'd like to be able to find a screen that would show me  in/out times which could be adjusted instead of doing things manually  ...

I've seen that the "SELECTION" drop-down in the upper R corner has in/out times that can be set along these lines but have yet to figure out the difference between the  time increments used there and on the TIME RULER relative to the various options for setting the numbers on the counter etc...looking for a way of establishing 15/30 sec.etc clips lengths exactly ..

Seeing the DAW can do everything imaginable I'm sure this has also been  focused on by the people behind it and the method to do this is available somewhere in its' many features...

Any help finding out  exactly where would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by Gary Shore
correction

3 answers to this question

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do. You could put the clips in a folder. This makes is easy to adjust  all the lengths start and stop times. Also you can click on the folder bar to select all clips.  Starting time can be trimmed to all the exact time simultaneity.  Fade in and fade outs all at the same time.  Each of these actions will effect all selected clips. 

Thx for replying and for the info-

To clarify things,what I'm looking for is feedback about the actual process  involved in taking a full-length track(i.e. 3+ min.)and making shorter length clips from it in terms of setting the NOW time/SMPTE #'s to reflect the changed start /end times etc and being able to do this so the clip will be exactly 15/30/60 sec.long...

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who actually has experience w/this...

When doing this in the past, I've always worked with the mixed down stereo wav as this makes things so much easier.

First of all, I'd add an additional SMPTE time rule so you're always seeing the actual time:

image.png.e4d907832ecbc5d0e1c9da6a6222d238.png

Next, it's just a matter of using the cut tool to split up your track, and putting fades in where necessary. If the cuts are clean, then you're good to go - otherwise use the xfade tool to introduce a slight cross fade (make sure lanes are expanded, and do the edits on the clip within the lane):

xfade_clips.gif

You could also try using the time-stretch tool for small adjustment using SHIFT+CTRL and dragging the end of the clip - note the "+time" at the end showing how much you're stretching the clip by:

SMTPE_time_stretch_clip.gif

Note it's normal that the quality of the stretched audio may not sound great, depending on the algorithm used in preferences:

image.png.4c6b22a05a370c6d8cfab3f7f8e33d6d.png

In the settings above, the "Online Render" is set to Elastique Efficient, which is quick, but doesn't sound that great. 

If I right click on the clip, then "Bounce to clip(s)", it will render using Elastique Pro - so always make sure you do the Bounce to clip(s) after your edit to make sure you get the high quality version.

• Like 1