Spitfire Audio Introducing Alev Lenz — 3

cclarry

Quite interesting. Some very fine vocal patches in there. But most of all I like how the new Spitfire engine allows for interaction with the artist’s musical views as recorded on her album. Seems to be the way recorded music May evolve into a more interactive relationship between the artist and the rest of us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

Any thoughts (if you already played it through) ?

I've installed and tested, very quickly. Each of the presets sound okay, but you have to go through the full range of the keyboard to get a proper idea. Definitely some inspirational stuff in there.

I'll report back as soon as I have something useful :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, synkrotron said:

I've installed and tested, very quickly. Each of the presets sound okay, but you have to go through the full range of the keyboard to get a proper idea. Definitely some inspirational stuff in there.

I'll report back as soon as I have something useful :)

lol watching my 25 keys keyboard as i read what you say ....lol

• Haha 1

lol listening while browsing , she said "i love this one , it's making me happy , patch called my best friend" i was exepcting something smooth peacefull  , she hit us with atonal madness lol  i swear this woman might be a pure psychopath in real life ahahahah ...

HEllo honey what are doing ... "well nothing just cooking diner ..." 

tumblr_inline_o4m32o584w1turpad_500.gif

Edited by Zo
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Fleer said:

though that one’s quite a bit larger

And a lot more expensive.

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I've decided not to buy this kind of stuff and make my own.

Totally with that sentiment. I've been playing my own recordings of random stuff and sticking it in Iris 2. And my Eurorack hardware system is an amazing tool for this kind of thing.

Anyway, had a bit more of a play this morning.

But before I go into that I think I should state my thoughts on sample library stuff.

Basically, I ain't a fan, as I prefer to create my own sounds using both hardware and software instruments and effects.

Back in the very late nineties I purchased a Yamaha A3000 (hardware sampler) and I quickly got bored of the whole sample thing. Mainly because, again, I prefer to create my own sounds and I just didn't have the patience to record samples and load them into the A3000.

Then in the early naughties I decided to go all VST and stuff. My first ever VST instrument was Absynth. A sample library, you may say, and yes, it uses samples, but I didn't see it as such at the time and I really enjoyed using it, and am still.

The band I was in at the time used Battery so I thought it would be a good idea to go down the same route, so I bought Battery 2. I didn't mind samples for percussion as how else could you recreate acoustic kits? I have Drumaxx, but I always use Battery (and since August, EZDrummer) for acoustic kit sounds.

Back then I would use SFZ for piano. Don't use piano much in my stuff, but I like to have a piano in my arsenal of tools. At some point SONAR gave us a free version of a piano library but I can't even remember what that was called now, as I have since lost it. A couple of months ago I fancied a new piano library and Noire had just been released, and I like the sound of that, with its "particle" system. So I bought that. And because that runs inside Kontakt Player I installed all the free stuff that comes with that, but have not yet bothered using it.

Then I stumbled upon Spitfire Audio LABS, a free, if somewhat limited sample library collection, some of which is a bit off the wall for many, I guess. But I liked what I heard and I now have the complete LABS collection, and use it.

So that just about covers my sample library stuff.

Back to "3"

It was cheap, and that was one of the main attractions for me, after some of the sounds. Now that I have it I suppose I could do without it. Meh... £30...

I do like some of the sounds, but there are no real controls to "make the sounds your own." In LABS, the big "wheel" can be assigned to a number of things, such as reverb, envelopes, "tightness" (what ever that is) but in "3" it can only be assigned to reverb, so I found that a bit limiting.

And there isn't much by way of dynamics, at least as far as I can tell. I did some tests on three particular "short" presets and there only appears to be two "velocity layers." At least, I think that is what it's called in Sample Library World. So when a different velocity is played, the actual "character" of the sound only changes once, at around the 100 mark (slightly different for each preset).

I therefore feel that, unless you do further sound mangling outside of "3" the end result will sound pretty much like everyone else's creations. "Oh, yeah, they have used that '3' library here..."

• Thanks 1

Guyz to jump on the think tank ... i ve found that sometime i work a whole track ...then i sample some parts ...mandke those and start a new crazzzzy thing even deeper in emotion ... in fact creating my own records to sample ... and there s a direct connection that makes the final piece so in phase that its scary !! 

For that purpose also , i m digging deep into granular and any sample based synthesis like wavetables ...

i ve found some greatavstuff around if any of you guyz can give its feeling , i need to use one also to show student at cours 

Mangle

padshop pro

NI form 

Ominsphere 

Granite 

Reason 11 ( but too expensive for now)

If you have any suggestions ;) 

8 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Omnisphere. Always. First. And. Last. 

So uninspiring to work my friend the gui have more than 10 years ...small lifting but so oldschool and to many subpages ect .....workflow killing , omnispere for me is just a preset browser ...and rompler ...most of the time ...

3 hours ago, Fleer said:

Yeah. You’re right, Zo. 
Maybe try Grain with Reason?

I heard good things about it ... i do rhink reason might have a second life ... will try to review it ...and it will be fresh since i never used it since a decade...

23 hours ago, Zo said:

If you have any suggestions

As you may remember, I do a lot of mangling for my own creations, but I prefer to use effects rather than instruments. Those effects include:-

Adaptiverb

MGranularMB

Objeq

Backmask

Dumpster Fire

These are my "go to" effects right now, but I tend to experiment with what ever I have in my collection.

I put an instance of each one of those in their own bus and then "send" tracks to them and use automation to vary the amount. I often set the "send" to pre-fader and set the track fader level to -inf.

Excellent for creating soundscapes, in my opinion :D

• Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, synkrotron said:

As you may remember, I do a lot of mangling for my own creations, but I prefer to use effects rather than instruments. Those effects include:-

Adaptiverb

MGranularMB

Objeq

Backmask

Dumpster Fire

These are my "go to" effects right now, but I tend to experiment with what ever I have in my collection.

I put an instance of each one of those in their own bus and then "send" tracks to them and use automation to vary the amount. I often set the "send" to pre-fader and set the track fader level to -inf.

Excellent for creating soundscapes, in my opinion :D

Thks but i prefer samplers that FX most of time , let me explain 

When you use sampler , your perfs and playing takes in cinsideration what you here , always more in phase (in my works) than adding fx post prod .... that said when  i found a boring sound or something or lack inspiration FX are all i need ;)

By the way we can do pretty good things in egoist (sugarbytes) it's more sequecnial than granualr but great !!

M granular is deep !! one i didn't paid attention to is the output thing but the prices made me just gaz it of lol 

Gas Off due to PRice !!      GODTP

Edited by Zo
  • Like 1