for whom the bell tolls

thegaltieribrothers

my granny used to say 'there but for the grace of God go us all' + as some people are really only a couple of pay checks away from being on the street, it makes me think for whom does the bell really toll today?

for whom the bell tolls

any comments or critiques would be most appreciated by this shy Che Guevara 😉 

thanks for listening.

regards

paul

• Like 1

Thanks Tom,

I know it rings for me I was looking to see if it rang a bell for anyone else 😉 

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for listening and your comments on the mix.

Hi Arlen,

Glad you like the vocals and the piano intro and outtro ( my attempt at enigmatic bell tolling).

Hi amiller,

Thanks you for your kind comments.

Thank you all for listening and your kind comments they are really appreciated.

regards

paul

Paul
Nice tune and effects on the piano. I'm not the most highly qualified to comment on vocals but I think yours could benefit with a little Melodyne treatment here and there.
I didn't get the dangling "now for.." phrase unless you meant the sentence to be completed by the listener?

• Like 1

Hi Paul, wow - I thought the instrumentation, balance and production sounded greta, smooth and professional.  And then the words hit, and (as a fellow Brit, and also as a near West-Midlander) you hit quite a few nails on the head, good blended vocal work, too.

Great track, it should have a wider distribution nationally.

Well done!

Jerry

Edited by jerrydf
added text
  • Like 1

Hi Paul, nice tune. Lyrics held the interest. Maybe a bit more reverb treatment on the drum kit? They are pretty darn dry compared to the rest. I liked the doubled vocals on the chorus, nice matching of those. Maybe a touch of melodyne here and there on the verses, depending on your pitch-fixing philosophy . . . it's far from horrendous as is . . . depends on how much you'd want to polish.

Your song certainly doesn't lack for important subjects - there's a lot going on in this one.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

I love the piano in this song.  Your songs have a great pop melody and style and this one certainly doesn't disappoint!  The arrangement,performance, and mix sound really good.  The lyrics are the real grabber.  Unfortunately, with so much of the world's wealth belonging to just a few families, your lyrics certainly have relevance!  I like the vocals.  It is my take that this song targets John and Jane everybody, and your vocal adds to the credibility of the lyrics.  As Thelonius Monk once said to a young jazz singer --- ..  don't try and make your singing too perfect, let the emotion come through (or words to that effect).  Well done Paul!!

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn,

Thanks for commenting and listening, the dangling 'now for' is supposed to me being cut off in my prime by the bell-like piano signifying the uncertainty of ultimately everything.

Hi Jerry,

Glad to hear from a fellow Midlander thanks for listening and your input.

Hi Tom,

As you and Bjorn have mentioned Melodyne I'll give the vocals another look but thanks for your comments and listening.

Hi Old Joad,

It's a shame all the people who should be running the country are writing songs - more barbecues in my lifetime 😉 

Hi Freddy,

Thanks for the wise advice and kind comments.

Thank you all for your useful advice, kind comments and for listening.

regards

paul