That new green selection bar thing

jkoseattle

Question

I'm confused by that new green selection bar thing appearing in the timeline. what exactly is that getting me? I use the loop tool all the time which creates a similar bar in yellow, but I'm finding that green one just gets in the way most of the time. I see that it shows me the selected range, but I can see that in the main pane anyway and usually don't care that much.

For example, when a loop range is selected, I often rewind to the start of the loop. Rewind doesn't put me to the beginning of the green bar though. Also, when I want to move the now time to the beginning of the green bar, I have to slide it out of the way so I can change the Now time.

I do appreciate the mouse cursor change depending on what you're hovering over - that became instantly handy. But what exactly do we need that green bar for?

2 hours ago, AndyTheDude said:

This green thing is completely unnecessary. Always gets in the way of loop markers. The time ruler area is now cramped beyond belief. I understand that some may like this new feature, but having an option to disable it altogether would be a good thing. 

Also, the numbers indicated by aim assist line could be a bit bigger and it should be displayed below the time ruler, not directly on top of it.

You can probably make it so the markers, the bar, and possibly the selection shading are the same color as the ruler, if green makes you see red.

Maybe not. Numbers become invisible. 😞

image.png.8575600276fd4fe6fc1ad815178f4757.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to say "maybe not" (1) to add "possibly"

6 hours ago, dantarbill said:

Seems old "New features URL" will be changed when new update come out and be added newest "New features pages"... :S

Not aware of any. BTW, they don't exist in prior versions of Sonar.

1. Show/Hide Markers option would be a nice 1.

2. Moving Aim Assist digits below the Time Line would be nice 2.

3. Time Line Digits could be bigger. (they were bigger before Sonar X3)

Edited by sjoens

On 1/2/2023 at 11:17 AM, Andrzej Salm said:

So I'm back to Cakewalk after couple years and those green selection markers are annoying me just like they were in 2019... Has any option been introduced to disable them altogether? 

While this will not “disable them altogether”, you could use the Cakewalk Theme Editor to make them invisible by using a colour that has an opacity of 0%

According to TYLIP, "A selected region will invert the color of the ruler. For example, with the ruler background set to White, the selected zone will be Black,
which may render the Selection Marker invisible if it also happens to be Black or near-Black."

So the color of the "green bar" is really a matter of the color of the ruler underneath it. In my Blue Flat Dark theme, it appears as very bright white, because my dark themes kinda take "dark" to the next level:

image.png.3de679872325cf3af2684eb265167ea3.png

I agree. This function creates another hurdle to navigate.

I get frustrated when I am simply trying to place the cursor on the timeline, and by clicking in the one narrow little band on the screen that has been provided for me to select a new time position, for some reason that will randomly cause a selection to be made, represented by the green indicator.

Picking a single point on the timeline should not cause anything to be selected. placing a cursor and selecting a region are two different functions.

I havent even figured out what causes cakewalk to make a selection or not make one. Its like if you select on the top several pixels of the timeline bar it doesnt make a selection, if you click in the middle few pixels of the timeline bar it selects something, and if you click on the bottom few pixels something else happens.

And then of course when trying to move the loop start or end point I always inadvertently grab the green bar instead, and when trying to move the green selection point, you grab the yellow bar instead.

It is detrimental when DAW developers add extra bells and whistles that drastically handicap previous functionality that was already more efficient and intuitive than the new and improved version.

Not to single Cakewalk out of course with this phenomena, most all software seems to operate worse and worse, the more the creators try to make it more and more sophisticated.

Edited by Rok TheKasbah

11 hours ago, Rok TheKasbah said:

This function creates another hurdle to navigate.

I get frustrated when I am simply trying to place the cursor on the timeline, and by clicking in the one narrow little band on the screen that has been provided for me to select a new time position, for some reason that will randomly cause a selection to be made, represented by the green indicator.

Picking a single point on the timeline should not cause anything to be selected. placing a cursor and selecting a region are two different functions.

• Do any of these help:
    • Menu Bar > Edit > Select > None
    • Ctrl + Shift + A
    • Setting up a custom keyboard short cut:
      • Preferences > Customization [Advanced Mode] >Global Bindings > Keyboard Shortcuts
        • Edit | Select | None
    • Not holding the mouse button down when moving the Now Time cursor after placing it on the Time Line with a single click?
Edited by User 905133
word changes in the interest of clarity; changed either to any

@ User 905133

Thanks for your reply.

Are you referring to just deselecting the area that Cakewalk randomly selects for me when I click on the timeline?

If that is the case, I do know that I can do that, and I appreciate the tip on the shortcut key to expedite the select none function.  I am just frustrated that I even have to do that. I never wanted anything selected in the first place, so it is very fatiguing to have to keep constantly taking extra steps to deselect something that I never wanted selected to begin with.

There are a myriad of these types of redundancies and obstacles, that require the user to  constantly have to instruct the software not to do all the things that the user never asked it to do in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Rok TheKasbah said:

Cakewalk randomly selects for me when I click on the timeline?

This should not happen. I can click anywhere on the timeline (or any blank space in the project) and nothing is selected unless I drag the mouse while holding the button.

The problem could be the mouse. Maybe you should try another one.

On 1/9/2023 at 1:26 PM, Rok TheKasbah said:

Are you referring to just deselecting the area that Cakewalk randomly selects for me when I click on the timeline?

Yes.  I generally don't click on the time line, so I was trying to understand how it works, but was was unable to trigger random selections.  

However, today I played around with setting start and end points (From and Thru) from Menu Bar > Edit > Selection to see if I could trigger random selections by doing single clicks on the time line.

Unlike yesterday, today I was able trigger the appearance of a Selection from a single click on the time line.  In all cases it happened when I clicked in the upper portion of the timeline and the cursor had changed to a magnifying glass and a downward arrow.  Any time I clicked on the bottom half of the time line with the normal basic mouse cursor arrow,  the Now line just moved, no green-makers-and-bar Selection happened.

I don't generally click on the time line to set the Now marker and I never pay attention to the the cursor changes on the time line.

I'm not sure if the top/bottom hot spot makes a difference in your results what you do.  Also, although I am familiar with CbB cursor changes in other places, I cannot explain why the cursor over the time line changes to a magnifying glass and the downward arrow. I am sure I read about it either in documentation of in the forum, but I cannot find where saw that.

I hope someone else can help figure out why you you are getting random selections from single time line clicks.  

Edited by User 905133
to add "From and Thru" as clarification