That new green selection bar thing

jkoseattle

Question

I'm confused by that new green selection bar thing appearing in the timeline. what exactly is that getting me? I use the loop tool all the time which creates a similar bar in yellow, but I'm finding that green one just gets in the way most of the time. I see that it shows me the selected range, but I can see that in the main pane anyway and usually don't care that much.

For example, when a loop range is selected, I often rewind to the start of the loop. Rewind doesn't put me to the beginning of the green bar though. Also, when I want to move the now time to the beginning of the green bar, I have to slide it out of the way so I can change the Now time.

I do appreciate the mouse cursor change depending on what you're hovering over - that became instantly handy. But what exactly do we need that green bar for?

Yes. I understand what it does. What I don't understand is what advantage that gives me. What are some use cases where having the selection indicated by the green bar is better than how it used to be? 

Here's how it's worse:

In PRV I selected a passage so that I could edit velocities. The green bar sits up there representing that selection. Now I want to add something else,  to the track and I want to start right at the beginning of the selection. I used to be able to just click in the ruler to the start time I want, but now I can't do that because that's where the left handle of the green bar is. So I have to either de-select before I move the now time, slide the green bar out of the way, or drag the shuttle. 

On 9/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, jkoseattle said:

What are some use cases where having the selection indicated by the green bar is better than how it used to be? 

1. You can change the selection range by directly dragging the start/end marker rather than setting the Now time and then using another shortcut to set From/Thru= Now

2. You can click and drag a time selection to a new start time, rather than having to re-select the same range somewhere else.

That said, I've also be a little frustrated by having the selection marker cursor get in the way of clicking nearby to set the Now time.

Two ways to deal with this other than de-selecting all are:

1. Enable Left/Right Click sets Now in track view options, and click in the clips view to set Now (loses selection).

2. Click in the very narrow section of the timeline below the scale where the selection cursor doesn't appear

Edited by David Baay

To be honest I've run into this problem myself. Im not really a big fan of it and wish there were a way to turn it off. But, I also haven't put forth the effort of using it my workflow yet, so it would be unfair of me to just say its useless. Ive been using CNTRL+SHIFT+A to deselect all, this allows me to have instant access to the timeline using the nowtime with out obstruction. 1 shortcut wont kill my workflow.

55 minutes ago, mgustavo said:

Hi! I'd like to ask if this green bar is from normal selection? Because for me nothing has changed as normal selection is black/dark gray, loop is yellow and punch is red!

Yes, I believe normal selection is black/dark gray if with Mercury theme.
If theme is set to Tungsten, it's green.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HIBI said:

Yes, I believe normal selection is black/dark gray if with Mercury theme.
If theme is set to Tungsten, it's green.

Ye that's correct, sorry I forgot about Themes. I'm using Tungsten.

On 9/27/2019 at 6:56 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

CNTRL+SHIFT+A

Its a shortcut I've been using since the beginning of time.

I don't know what you're referring to. For me that adds a new Audio track.

2 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

I don't know what you're referring to. For me that adds a new Audio track.

Funny I don't know what your referring to either...

CNTRL+SHIFT+A Clears the selection = Select none. Not Add audio track.

Its also a Windows shortcut- CNTRL+A = Select all / CNTRL+SHIFT+A= Select none.

40 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

@Chuck E Baby

Good idea to add one though for this very reason.

Yes sir.

Im absolutely sure this will help alleviate some of the problems your having due to trying to click in the Timeline. I know it has for me and ive been dealing with the same thing.

43 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

At some point I probably changed it.

Yup. understandable. we all make custom changes to our shortcuts to fit our needs. Some of those Shortcuts though, are better left untouched.

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

At some point I probably changed it. what you're saying is Clear Selection. I don't have any keyy associated with that. Good idea to add one though for this very reason.

Now, SHIFT + ESC is works instead of CTRL + SHIFT + A.

I wonder if the timeline could be redesigned slightly to move the selection/loop indicators above the timeline (see example below - click to enlarge - Edit: sorry, it doesn't get any clearer - I don't know how to attach the original high-res version. It's only 192KB). It would need a bit of thought as to how to incorporate the mouse zoom/scroll function that currently uses the space above the timeline.

Cakewalk-timeline.png.5373a4dd1c984aab7a9bae48c3159ec3.png

Edited by PeterMc

11 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Not instead. CTRL+SHIFT+A still works fine. They simply added SHIFT+ESC.

Personally I don't feel SHIFT+ESC is easier.

@Chuck E Baby First, really sorry for misleading with my bad English.  
Yes, of course I know that. Just wanted to mention about added shortcut SHIFT+ESC because he is using CTRL+SHIFT+A as other behavier.
and... I don't like using SHIFT+ESC.

BTW, SHIFT+ESC is not working in PRV (It works only in Track view) as @jkoseattle said. Sorry...

Edited by HIBI
  • Like 1

Footnote: Someone recently asked about the green markers on the timeline (aka time ruler). In many themes, the Selection Markers are a variation of grey/black and might be hard to see.  (They were for me.) In fact, if someone has a theme with the markers as green (e.g., Tungsten). it might seem like they are new.

Colin Nicholls has the parameter identified in his Theme Editing Guide-in-Progress (the ones in hot magenta):

image.png.3eba756df66ff279ec42820d201afe9f.png

In the current version of Cakewalk (2019.12), hovering over the endpoints have parallel lines with a left- and right-pointing arrows and the letter S [for Selection] for sliding the end markers left or right. The Loop Markers have an L.

This is just a footnote to point out the parameter that can be changed for those who don't have green Selection Markers but who might want to turn them green (or any other color) in their preferred theme.

image.png.ca9c6b584696fbe5b16eaa5d795873ec.png

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a before/after shot to show an example of the color change (1) to add a link to CN's theme editing guide thread

This green thing is completely unnecessary. Always gets in the way of loop markers. The time ruler area is now cramped beyond belief. I understand that some may like this new feature, but having an option to disable it altogether would be a good thing. 

Also, the numbers indicated by aim assist line could be a bit bigger and it should be displayed below the time ruler, not directly on top of it.

Edited by AndyTheDude
  • Like 2