Post crash recovery

Anders Madsen

Sirs.

I accept program crashes from time to time. Often they are my fault. (I still try to use corrupted plugins sometimes. Sigh)
But Cakewalk does not quit, and I can not kill the process. I guess you all have been there..
I have to restart the PC, and sometimes the soundcard as well. This takes a relatively long time.
Is there a trick, or something smarter do do to get up and run again after such a crash?

11 minutes ago, Moxica said:

Sirs.

I accept program crashes from time to time. Often they are my fault. (I still try to use corrupted plugins sometimes. Sigh)
But Cakewalk does not quit, and I can not kill the process. I guess you all have been there..
I have to restart the PC, and sometimes the soundcard as well. This takes a relatively long time.
Is there a trick, or something smarter do do to get up and run again after such a crash?

Task Manager usually works for me.

If Task Manager isn't working for you, then it might be a 32 bit plugin causing the issue. In which case you'll need to also kill BitBridge (comes up as TeleportServer in Task Manager) or JBridge if you use that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moxica said:

I am able to kill TeleportServer in task manager, but the Cakewalk process does not give up its spirit. 

Another I found helps, is unplugging your audio interface (assuming it's external).

Cakewalk might recognise this and come back to life.

If this does the trick, then it might be an audio interface issue rather than a plugin issue (actually, it could be the issue even if Cakewalk doesn't come back to life). The following might solve it:

1. Reboot your machine
2. Re-install your audio drivers (not always necessary, but might help)
3. Delete AUD.INI
4. Start Cakewalk

• Thanks 1

I have found that unplugging my audio interface sometimes lets my DAW exit completely following a crash caused by a bad plugin.

I assume that is because my audio driver gets hung up when the DAW goes "poof", and isn't shut down clean.  Resetting the interface seems to allow the process to exit fully.  Good to go again without rebooting the machine.

• Like 1