Event list: Match the piano roll track color and selection behavior

Jon L. Jacobi

I'm guessing you'll eventually get around to this, but coloring events by track, and automatically including events by the clip/track selections in the arranger seems to be in order. Same methodology as the Piano Roll. I don't use the event list often, but opened it because someone had mentioned it. 

Edited by Jon L. Jacobi

The events are colored by type. I find this a convenient way to see at a glance what is in a track.  Notes are black, aftertouch events are red, and so on. If all were the same color, you would need to filter them out always. I use the Event list, either to insert a single CC or sysex event, or to troubleshoot the behaviour of a synth that might be receiving an unintended message. About selection, they already appear selected. All events selected in other views appear selected in Event List.

• Like 1

I agree the Event List should be updated to have a Tracks pane and display/editing controls lik the PRV. And background colorizing of the events by track/channel could be helpful, but  I would want to retain foreground colorizing of notes and controllers to distinguish them.

But since I only really use the view as Jose mentioned - to add controllers or troubleshoot unexpected synth behavior - and usually only work with single channels/tracks, I don't really need those enhancements.

The only oddity in the Event List that consistently catches me out is that the Delete key does not delete selected events; it only deletes the currently focused note (i.e. the next note to be played), which might not even be part of the selection. You have to use Edit > Delete or Ctrl+X to remove all selected events.

Hmm. I'll try it again, but I selected several clips on different tracks, and the notes did not automatically appear. I had to use the drop down menu and the track selector to see clips from multiple tracks. I'd rather see the track colors, and simply filter out the non-required data. For that, perhaps add Lens functionality so you don't have to deselect so much stuff. 

My primary recommendation is to simply make the methodology the same no matter what the view. Learning a different one for each view makes for a longer learning curve and I'm assuming that with all the improvements, there will be a lot of new users.