Any harm w/ leaving a session open for days on end?

Christian Jones

Maybe a dumb question, but sometimes when working on a session, when I'm done for the day I'll save it and then turn my monitor off and leave the session open but no activity; just sitting there until I return which could be a day or a few. I don't always do this, I sometimes do it when I'm working on some kind of sample editing and just want things to be left exactly as they are till I return. Is this putting unnecessary hurt on anything like drives, CPU etc even though there's no activity? 

Like many things, it depends.

Are there any tasks that run over night - like backups
Are you sure no plugins or software suffer memory leaks (That's where closed processes don't give back ram to the memory pool)

If you have an EUFI BIOS and and GPT disk, then the time from power up to desktop logon can be as little as 10 seconds.

However, personally, I just log off and down the display monitor.  The PC itself stays on 24/7 - I have nightly backups that run at 4:00 am - and various other tasks that run overnight.   It's possible the daily physically shutting down and restarting can put extra thermal strain on PC components. 

Just my 2c

If I'm in the house, I will sometimes leave the computer on with something being worked on and come back to it occasionally but if I leave the house I always turn it off, once I left the house with the guitar plugged in and the feedback built up, the neighbours had to come in and turn it off, said it was shaking everything in the room and also in their room next door!

I don't think anything would be hurt by leaving the computer on with the monitor off, I've never done it though, probably excess wear and tear on the computer though if you've got it running but not actually doing anything with it.

I wouldn't do it but bear in mind, I live in a country with some of the most expensive electricity in the world.

Edited by Tezza

Well I was actually referring to leaving a Cakewalk session open and just sitting there w/o closing it - not whether or not the computer itself gets turned off. I actually never turn that off. 

2 hours ago, Tezza said:

once I left the house with the guitar plugged in and the feedback built up, the neighbours had to come in and turn it off, said it was shaking everything in the room and also in their room next door!

LOL that's f'n awesome dude, was that during one of your trips to Bali? 😂 That's just straight rock n roll dude you got my respect 🤘

How'd your neighbours get in, did they have to break in, like bust a window? Hil-arious 

nah, I never lock anything up unless I'm going away, that was when I was living in a different place and had a PA and monitors rigged up to the audio interface in a room by itself. Neighbours were pretty good there, some of them were musicians as well.

15 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Well I was actually referring to leaving a Cakewalk session open and just sitting there w/o closing it - not whether or not the computer itself gets turned off. I actually never turn that off. 

LOL that's f'n awesome dude, was that during one of your trips to Bali? 😂 That's just straight rock n roll dude you got my respect 🤘

How'd your neighbours get in, did they have to break in, like bust a window? Hil-arious 

That actually happened to me. I left an older amp on some years ago in my basement. At 3am I was awakened by loud hum and had to go shut it off. No idea how it went into oscillation by itself randomly but it was pretty scary waking up to that :)

Regarding the OP, Cakewalk itself it doesn't consume much when idle unless you have synths in the project. Then its always streaming audio and consuming some CPU. If you turn off the audio engine then its pretty idle. Its generally better to save and reopen once in awhile however to avoid memory leaks or other bugs from plugins building up.

I use the auto save of versions. If i leave sonar on and idle, all my rollback versions become the same. Doesn't really matter unless it does. 😁

For this reason, i usually close it.

That said, i have walked away overnight with it still recording... So I'm not perfect.

Edited by Gswitz

It is generally accepted that any project left open for too long risks becoming stale, as it is constantly exposed to the drying effect of the air in your studio. You can slow this natural tendency by covering the monitor with a large freezer-style ZipLoc, being careful to tape the opening where the cords prevent the pinch seal from joining. That will at least keep the music from excessive drying, but the baggie is only a temporary solution. Inevitably the warm air trapped in the project will foster the development of mold. If this has not gone too far, it can sometimes be salvaged by cutting off the edges with careful application of equalization. There are also a variety of plugins designed for this purpose if you are willing to trust your work to algorithmic remediation. By far the safest method of handling half-finished projects is to put the entire computer in a refrigerator (some recommend the crisper drawer) as you would with any other perishable.

Or you can just hibernate your computer.

Edited by slartabartfast
the robot turned r!e!t!a!r!d (now slow) into a series of asteisks