Intel does free marketing for AMD...Again.

Bruno de Souza Lino

FWIW, If you benchmark the 14900k, it comes out exactly the same as the 13900ks.

Intel shouldn't have called it 14th Gen... but rather "13th Gen refresh" or "13th Gen mk2".

The 13900ks in most benchmarks (and running audio), handily bests the 5800X3D and 7950X3D.

ie:  If you run Cinebench R23 (Multi-Core)... the 13900ks scores ~40k

The 5800X3D... is nowhere remotely close (less than half at ~14.5k).

Edited by Jim Roseberry

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, Jim Roseberry said:

If you want to get excited about an AMD CPU, checkout the Storm Peak 7960x.

Cinebench R23 scores are above 50k.

Two downsides:

• Cost:  CPU is $1500, motherboard is ~$600, 128GB DDR5 Registered is ~$1200
  • Heat/Noise: TDP=350w

Hello Jim,

In regards to the Threadripper 7000 system for DAW use, have you found them to be able get that ultra-low latency you always strive for, or are they still plagued by the same past issues? I checked the single threaded score for Cinebench and a few others and it seems to be on par with a 12900K which is an improvement compared to past Threadripper generations, but I know it doesn't always fully translate to real-world scenarios. 

For ultra low latency performance, the Threadripper 7xxx series is about the same as an Intel i9.

With the Ryzen 5xxx series, AMD *finally* got their ultra low latency performance together.

A well spec'd AMD "Storm Peak" DAW is going to be ~$10k+ (parts alone).

• 7960x = $1500
  • 7970x = $2500
  • 7980x = $5000
  • 7995WX = $10000

The target market is pretty small (the most extreme of professionals and enthusiasts).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

For ultra low latency performance, the Threadripper 7xxx series is about the same as an Intel i9.

With the Ryzen 5xxx series, AMD *finally* got their ultra low latency performance together.

A well spec'd AMD "Storm Peak" DAW is going to be ~$10k+ (parts alone).

• 7960x = $1500
  • 7970x = $2500
  • 7980x = $5000
  • 7995WX = $10000

The target market is pretty small (the most extreme of professionals and enthusiasts).

Thank you for your insight. 

It's nice to know that Threadripper is an option performance-wise. The problems as you mentioned before are:

1. The price. The cost of entry is certainly higher than before. Even if were to migrate parts from my old Threadripper build and just get what's needed (Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and cooler) I'm already at $4,625 CAD. 😵

2. The TDP. Although I heard the efficiency is pretty good and that the reviews said that it is relatively easier to cool compared to the 3000 and 5000 series because of how the CCXs are distributed under the IHS, it's still a 350W TDP.  And there aren't that many solutions out there that can cool it at it's best. They changed the orientation of the socket so I can't use my Prosiphon Elite in my tower setup anymore which is a drag. 

It seems like for strickly DAW use, the mainstream desktop platforms makes more sense. Unless you were doing some other stuff like video editing (to a point) and 3D rendering, it's hard to justify getting a Threadripper platform.... unless you want it. In which case that's not gonna stop you anyways. 😅😂

i9-13900k/14900k need top quality 420mm AIO... to prevent thermal-throttling under load.

I see companies marketing air coolers for Storm Peak.  🤪

That'll be great at idle and low loads.  What happens when you render a video?

Even a top-quality 420mm AIO is going to struggle with 350w TDP.

The wife's co-worker is starting a professional "Sports" Pod-Cast.

His football buddy recommended a 14900k based machine... using a 240mm AIO.

He ran that by me... and I told him (half jokingly), "This is why you don't take computer advice from a football player."  😁

Without proper cooling, there's no point in having an expensive high-end CPU (it'll thermal-throttle, negating the benefit).

Cinebench R23's Multi-Core test (assuming proper cooling/configuration):

• 12700k will score ~24k
  • 12900k will score ~28k
  • 12900ks will score ~29k
  • 13700k will score ~29k
  • 14700k will score ~36k
  • 13900k and 14900k will score ~40k
  • 7960x will score ~50k

CPUs that score over 30k; that's kind of the "tipping point" for more robust cooling.

Higher score essentially requires larger cooler.

Edited by Jim Roseberry
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jeffrey O'Hara said:

It seems like for strickly DAW use, the mainstream desktop platforms makes more sense. Unless you were doing some other stuff like video editing (to a point) and 3D rendering, it's hard to justify getting a Threadripper platform.... unless you want it. In which case that's not gonna stop you anyways. 😅😂

If you're doing 3D Rendering on a regular basis, you can't possibly have too much machine.

I could definitely see using a "Storm Peak" based machine for that purpose.

And you're right, it's about the same investment as a Private Stock PRS guitar.