How To Use Steven Slate Drums 5.5 With Electronic Drumset

Nathan Wallace

Hello… I’m trying to figure out how to use the SSD5.5 VST for my Simmons SD1250 kit. I’m connecting the drum module to my computer via USB cable. In Preferences I see my drum kit in the MIDI devices and I have checked them for both input and output. I’m not sure what the next steps are at this point to use one of the SSD drum kits for my e-drums. 

I’ve tried adding a MIDI track. I’ve tried adding an Instrument track. But I don’t know what settings to use to get my drums to use the SSD selected kit. I can get it to where it shows the SSD kits and even shows when I hit one of the pads or cymbals, but it’s still using the kit from the module because when I switch the dial to change the kit on the module the sounds change. 

I’m new to this whole process and I’d like to learn how to do this properly. My goal is to be able to load a SSD drum kit within Cakewalk and hear the output of the selected kit so that I can play along with music tracks and record them together. 

Thanks for any help. 

Welcome to the forum.
This is among the most basic of questions when using MIDI.
Like all software synthesizers, you insert the synth (I use the Insert menu at the top, but there are other ways), choose a sound set or instrument (I don't have SSD so I don't know how that's done there), Set the soft synth's output to a valid audio output, your sound card or audio interface or a bus that has its output set to a valid audio output. Using busses is the preferred method.
Then, in a MIDI track, set its input to your drum machine and its output to SSD.
That's the gist of it.
Search forum member John Vere. He has lots of tutorials here that will certainly help you get started.
Good luck!

• Like 1