Sample Preview Enhancement - Browser

Mark Morgon-Shaw

Some samples can be very long, it would be great if when using the Browser you were not limited to merely playing it from start to finish and could select to preview the sample from any point in it's duration.

The way I could imagine it working is that as soon the selected sample starts to play the white highlighted text box has a coloured bar ( let's say green )  that gradually fills up as the sample plays along it's length and by grabbing that bar and sliding it along you could choose to preview the sample from any point.   

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 2

7 hours ago, JoseC said:

That would be great. But it also would be great that it actually played the sample to finish if so desired. I have noticed that it goes back to the beginning after five minutes or so.

Oh I never got to one that was 5 mins long - I didn't know that !  Wow that is a long sample.

Yes , if was just left it should play to the end I agree

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, CosmicDolphin said:

Thanks, I was thinking more about it and it would also be good if you could scrub through the sample

I was just thinking this myself last night.

I export all my unfinished projects as .mp3 into a preview directory so I can easily go through them to see if any of my ideas will fit into anything I'm currently working on.

There's a few of them I wished I could fast forward through to get to the various sections. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 7:25 AM, msmcleod said:

I was just thinking this myself last night.

I export all my unfinished projects as .mp3 into a preview directory so I can easily go through them to see if any of my ideas will fit into anything I'm currently working on.

There's a few of them I wished I could fast forward through to get to the various sections. 

Reaper and Ableton Live seem to have implemented this feature in a useful way in their media browsers. You view a preview waveform in the browser that you can click anywhere on to begin playback from that point. Looping the  preview playback is also an option.

I would probably give the edge to Reaper on this one because the wave preview is much larger and more detailed, plus you can click+drag and highlight a region to play.

This would be a useful workflow enhancement for Cakewalk.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scook said:

While waiting for the buttons, keep in mind the functions may be bound to keyboard shortcuts in preferences.

What!? No, you're kidding, I gotta check that out! :D

Thanks scook! 😀

EDIT: While I'm using the keyboard shortcuts,  I'm waiting for buttons and/or indicators to make it easier to see the current setting. ;)

Edited by Deckard
Added text

• 2 weeks later...