[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.09 Early Access

Jesse Jost

Hi Everybody, .

I don´t know if the bug i´m gonna describe was present before this Early Access version, (I have it installed so I don´t know if this bug was present in the last stable version of Cake).
The fact is:  if you want to go to full screen on the video view window AND you are using Direct Show like the engine for video media (because that´s the only way to be able to move around in the timeline for a video clip. As far as I know it is not posible to do that with Windows Media Foundation engine), you only get a flickering  on the screen and the video window reverts inmediatly to the default stretch mode (which is "preserve aspect ratio"). Is this the way it shoud be?? Because with the Media Foundation engine no problem going to full screen, but no way to get it if you are using Direct Show. 
I hope I've been clear enough...despite of my english
Thanks a lot in advance for any clarification about this!

I've had problems connecting my M-Audio Code 61 to Cakewalk via Mackie Control so have tested the early access release for this issue.

Code 61 now communicates with Cakewalk but there are a few issues. It actually works better under HUI. I would note the following specifically:

TRANSPORT:

HUI - All OK

MACKIE - “Play” doesn’t work, “Record” moves playhead but nothing is recorded

FADERS:

HUI - Master fader doesn’t work

MACKIE - All OK

ROTARIES:

HUI - All OK

MACKIE - At the same time as controlling pan, rotary 6 moves the playhead, rotary 7 moves track select, rotary 8 controls master fader

ISSUES ON BOTH HUI and MACKIE:

Bank select is quite slow (not timed it but at least 1 second delay)

It is not possible to control busses (this may not be part of the HUI/MACKIE protocol - if not, what is the best way to use a hardware controller with busses?)

Bank select is a bit confusing if the tracks are not in multiples of 8. For example, with 17 tracks the bank select moves by 8 tracks (to control tracks 9 to 16) and then 1 track to accommodate track 17. This means that track 17 is controlled by fader 8 rather than fader 1 (which would be more logical (to me) as it is the first track in the next bank of eight). Again, this may not be part of the HUI/MACKIE protocol

1 hour ago, Andrew Pentecost said:

I've had problems connecting my M-Audio Code 61 to Cakewalk via Mackie Control so have tested the early access release for this issue.

Code 61 now communicates with Cakewalk but there are a few issues. It actually works better under HUI. I would note the following specifically:

TRANSPORT:

HUI - All OK

MACKIE - “Play” doesn’t work, “Record” moves playhead but nothing is recorded

FADERS:

HUI - Master fader doesn’t work

MACKIE - All OK

ROTARIES:

HUI - All OK

MACKIE - At the same time as controlling pan, rotary 6 moves the playhead, rotary 7 moves track select, rotary 8 controls master fader

ISSUES ON BOTH HUI and MACKIE:

Bank select is quite slow (not timed it but at least 1 second delay)

It is not possible to control busses (this may not be part of the HUI/MACKIE protocol - if not, what is the best way to use a hardware controller with busses?)

Bank select is a bit confusing if the tracks are not in multiples of 8. For example, with 17 tracks the bank select moves by 8 tracks (to control tracks 9 to 16) and then 1 track to accommodate track 17. This means that track 17 is controlled by fader 8 rather than fader 1 (which would be more logical (to me) as it is the first track in the next bank of eight). Again, this may not be part of the HUI/MACKIE protocol

It sounds like in Mackie Mode, either the Code 61 is sending out more MIDI messages than it should, or you have more than one Control Surface / ACT set up within Cakewalk. I would also recommend checking there's isn't a MIDI loop somewhere in your setup.

From what you say however, l recommend sticking to HUI for the time being. HUI doesn't support a master fader (p99 of the Code 61 manual confirms this), as the original HUI didn't have one.

The Mackie MCU has a specific button for switching between Tracks & Buses, which isn't on the Code 61. For the Korg nanoKONTROL Studio, you can use the Scrub button as a shift key (so Scrub + Bank Left = tracks, Scrub + Bank Right = buses). If you're able to assign one of the other buttons to Scrub, then this might work for you.

Hey folks -

I installed the beta and have some issues.  Unfortunately I’m on my way to a show (hooray Bob Mould !) and cant help troubleshoot now but certainly can later.

Here is the strangeness -

1.  Worked on an older song and got to the point where I wanted to bounce it down (complete export) using the bounce dialogue box and got the attached screenshot.  Tried it the old fashioned way of “file/export audio” and no joy.     

2. loaded a project that I didn’t do any new work in with the new beta and attempted to bounce and it started and works BUT I cannot interrupt it.

Like I said I’ll be more than happy to assist any troubleshooting later.  Big thanks for letting us try this stuff and be a part of dev testing !

EDIT - the screenshot is hard to read. It says “An unknown error occurred during processing, possible caused by an invalid parameter”.

CFF2AB51-C122-4775-845C-3F48E4AAC57B.jpeg

Edited by Greg Wynn

I know that the following is previous to the 2019.9 Early Acces, but it could be great you consider to adressing it for the upcoming release:

When I edit real time stretched clips, everything sounds fine. But when I bounce them or the whole project, it appears clicks on the former edit points or crossfades between those time stretched clips.

Here I attach a .cwp example file with audio.

This issue occurs even if I choose Elastique Pro as the stretch method for both online and offline renders. And it happens with any kind of bouncing: bounce to clips, to tracks, freeze and even export (fast bounce or not).

The workaround I can do in the meantime is to bounce those clips INMEDIATELLY AFTER stretch, and BEFORE any subsequent editing.

If I'm not the only one experiencing this, hope you consider it for fixing.
Thanks!

2 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

I know that the following is previous to the 2019.9 Early Acces, but it could be great you consider to adressing it for the upcoming release:

When I edit real time stretched clips, everything sounds fine. But when I bounce them or the whole project, it appears clicks on the former edit points or crossfades between those time stretched clips.

Here I attach a .cwp example file with audio.

This issue occurs even if I choose Elastique Pro as the stretch method for both online and offline renders. And it happens with any kind of bouncing: bounce to clips, to tracks, freeze and even export (fast bounce or not).

The workaround I can do in the meantime is to bounce those clips INMEDIATELLY AFTER stretch, and BEFORE any subsequent editing.

If I'm not the only one experiencing this, hope you consider it for fixing.
Thanks!

Same problem here Mariano!! 

• Thanks 1

i used to be able to hold shift and extend multiple clips by specific duration but i cant seem to do it in this version. Not sure if this is a feature that requires additional step to turn on in this release. here's a gif trying to show the issue. 

UPDATE: just realised its because of this new feature:
Holding SHIFT on Comp track (lanes collapsed) now allows for adjusting split location across lanes

is there a way to keep this feature, but still have the ability to extend the multiple clips by a specific duration?

clips.gif

Edited by JL

6 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

Hey folks -

I installed the beta and have some issues.  Unfortunately I’m on my way to a show (hooray Bob Mould !) and cant help troubleshoot now but certainly can later.

Here is the strangeness -

1.  Worked on an older song and got to the point where I wanted to bounce it down (complete export) using the bounce dialogue box and got the attached screenshot.  Tried it the old fashioned way of “file/export audio” and no joy.     

2. loaded a project that I didn’t do any new work in with the new beta and attempted to bounce and it started and works BUT I cannot interrupt it.

Like I said I’ll be more than happy to assist any troubleshooting later.  Big thanks for letting us try this stuff and be a part of dev testing !

EDIT - the screenshot is hard to read. It says “An unknown error occurred during processing, possible caused by an invalid parameter”.

CFF2AB51-C122-4775-845C-3F48E4AAC57B.jpeg

how can I revert to the previous version ?  It was the last official release.

From

To roll back to the previous release version, you will need to uninstall Cakewalk and reinstall from BandLab Assistant

Use the Uninstall menu option in BA to uninstall Cakewalk, then the Open button will change to allow re-install.

242xmEe.png

can you check *lanes and *clip copy*.
if you open one track to copy clip from one lane, then when you open another track lanes to paste - the copy source lanes will be collapsed,
so you cannot just move one clip from one lane to another between different tracks.
maybe it is fixed in some other *lane fixes

2 hours ago, oeai said:

can you check *lanes and *clip copy*.
if you open one track to copy clip from one lane, then when you open another track lanes to paste - the copy source lanes will be collapsed,
so you cannot just move one clip from one lane to another between different tracks.
maybe it is fixed in some other *lane fixes

Sounds like you've got Auto Track Zoom enabled:

image.png.35ff2ea5c8ad807ff447a296e662e1c6.png

11 hours ago, Greg Wynn said:

how can I revert to the previous version ?  It was the last official release.

So after doing a bunch of troubleshooting (rebuilding aud.ini, removing/re-adding  plugins, etc) I think I found solution albeit strange.

I pressed the PDC button and tried the export and VOILA it worked. I then then tested further and pressed it again (to return it to its original state) and it still worked.

One note I need to add.  I did get a dialogue box  at one point about the sample rate being wrong for my UAD plugs.  I’d never seen that before and honestly aren’t sure why I got that.

Edited by Greg Wynn

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Sounds like you've got Auto Track Zoom enabled:

image.png.35ff2ea5c8ad807ff447a296e662e1c6.png

SHIFT+Z is more like the issue, but thanks. i don't look on a keyboard usually when i need to UNDO/REDO ctrl+SHIFT+Z.
maybe remove such hotkeys that can be easily pressed or can be used with other combinations, maybe it is a better way for menu?
for example - disable advanced hotkeys in pref / leaving only usual hotkeys that cannot be mismatched

Edited by oeai
solution

the other problem i got with bounce/freeze particular track that is not playing some notes.
it's a syntronik vst3/64 with 2 A+B synths enabled, but maybe with rapture session i had the same.
the issue is in pretty easy chords with pedal , that should be played together, but they don't for freeze and for fast bounce track.
it is working for live play and for audible bounce/fast_disabled, but you never know if something is wrong.

on the second img you can see the wave is different - lower is audible, so it has full notes and instruments.
maybe it is their problem, but i just wanted to have the same sound.
Why the freeze\export settings are different? Because we know that there are troubles.

just found again RMB freeze options audible\fast, but sometimes i'm just forgetting about some kind of such tricks
and actually maybe it would be better to have some tweaks in preferences?
so you can choose in pref overall options and with RMB - per track.

While it is not solving the problem - some notes / maybe synths are not playing when bouncing.

Also i heard that some man put two same midi devices and cakewalk cannot recognize they are two, seeing both as 1 device, while they are different (didn't ask on the version and hardware).

syntr-1.png

syntr-2.png

Edited by oeai