[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2019.09 Early Access

Jesse Jost

Great work Dev team. Some of the feature I am already using. That's when you know it's a goon one!!

And while I do really like and support all the bug fixes that the Dev Team has been working on (and fixing!!) I would like to point out and remind everyone that these last few releases have not only been about bug fixes. They have also been adding some really great features and enhancements that bring substantial value to this program!

The added features and enhancements to Comping and the Take Lanes was in itself huge for me. And now the Duplicate Clip feature... I never would have thought of this, but since I have installed it, I find I am using it instinctively, like it was always there!!

The things the Devs have brought to the table this summer sure has hit a sweet spot with me!!

Thanks Noel and team. And thanks for Meng and Bandlab crew for helping this to happen.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emiliano Branda said:

WOW!!!! Thanks a lot, although I would have liked a staff view improvement.................     😭

Agreed, the amount of time and effort being spent in quashing bugs, fine tuning features based on feedback, and adding genuinely useful enhancements is really making Cakewalk shine... the current development approach rocks! Great work all at Cakewalk and Bandlab

(I too would really like to see the staff view get an upgrade.... that probably sounds a bit needy given all the efforts to date, sorry!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emiliano Branda said:

WOW!!!! Thanks a lot, although I would have liked a staff view improvement.................     😭

Me too, it needs an upgrade for sure. The program has some half finished or abandoned features such as: staff view, Matrix view, plug-in manager. I would suggest to deprecate some of them if they are not going to be developed.

• Like 1

Hi to everyone! 
I have a doubt about the following. Let´s suppose that some bug is detected by some user testing the EA version of the program, bettwen  the time that I have installed the early access version and the roll out of the final release, which has been corrected on that bug. My question is: Is it going to be possible to install (via BandLab asistant) that new and corrected release over the Early Access version one already installed or...will I need to re-install the full version of the program from scratch??
I hope my english is clear enough to make me understand by you people!
Thanks in advance for your reply and....thanks a lot for the excellent and commited job all of the team is doing over this DAW!! I am using Cakewalk  since the 90´s, live, composing, recording....etc,etc.., and it has always be the perfect musical partner in my projects!!
Regards from Argentina!

Edited by huviolan

Well, I hate to be the first complaint here but I was sent the new EA by Noel explaining to use that installer because the one on the forum did not work.

I installed on my Toshiba laptop and it runs fantastic!!! I then installed on my Asus desktop and it turned in to a brick!!!! It froze so hard I had to unplug the power cable to reboot. It did this 3 times!!! I rebooted 1 last time and did everything I would normally do and the computer was fine, until I clicked on CbB and the computer locks up tighter than a drum!!!!

I ended uninstalling and going back to my previous version to install and all is good in the world again!!!

I think I will pass on Early Access from here on out. I am a working studio and don't have time to go thru that type of ordeal. Lol

I eagerly await the finished upgrade!!

34 minutes ago, huviolan said:

My question is: Is it going to be possible to install (via BandLab asistant) that new and corrected release over the Early Access version one already installed or...will I need to re-install the full version of the program from scratch??

No special action is needed by the user regardless of the version already installed. BandLab Assistant will download and install the full version of CbB when it detects a version that cannot be updated with the smaller update release. IOW, BandLab always updates to the latest production release with which ever installer (full or update) it deems appropriate.

28 minutes ago, scook said:

No special action is needed by the user regardless of the version already installed. BandLab Assistant will download and install the full version of CbB when it detects a version that cannot be updated with the smaller update release. IOW, BandLab always updates to the latest production release with which ever installer (full or update) it deems appropriate.

Thanks a lot for your clear an soon answer Scook!

Regards!

I dont know if it's just me or what, but with this new version I've been experiencing slow processes. I can notice that the software takes a a lot of time starting, and the track bouncing has been much slower.

Edit: Melodyne sync now works perfectly!

Edited by Apeirofobia

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Well, I hate to be the first complaint here but I was sent the new EA by Noel explaining to use that installer because the one on the forum did not work.

I installed on my Toshiba laptop and it runs fantastic!!! I then installed on my Asus desktop and it turned in to a brick!!!! It froze so hard I had to unplug the power cable to reboot. It did this 3 times!!! I rebooted 1 last time and did everything I would normally do and the computer was fine, until I clicked on CbB and the computer locks up tighter than a drum!!!!

I ended uninstalling and going back to my previous version to install and all is good in the world again!!!

I think I will pass on Early Access from here on out. I am a working studio and don't have time to go thru that type of ordeal. Lol

I eagerly await the finished upgrade!!

I understand that its difficult when you have sessions. However the main reason for early access is to find outliers like this problem which affect only a very small subset of people and testers don't find. If you didn't report its unlikely that it would be fixed before release anyway. 

1 hour ago, huviolan said:

Hi to everyone! 
I have a doubt about the following. Let´s suppose that some bug is detected by some user testing the EA version of the program, bettwen  the time that I have installed the early access version and the roll out of the final release, which has been corrected on that bug. My question is: Is it going to be possible to install (via BandLab asistant) that new and corrected release over the Early Access version one already installed or...will I need to re-install the full version of the program from scratch??
I hope my english is clear enough to make me understand by you people!
Thanks in advance for your reply and....thanks a lot for the excellent and commited job all of the team is doing over this DAW!! I am using Cakewalk  since the 90´s, live, composing, recording....etc,etc.., and it has always be the perfect musical partner in my projects!!
Regards from Argentina!

Yes the final release will automatically update the early access build if you downloaded it so no worries there.

13 minutes ago, Apeirofobia said:

I dont know if it's just me or what, but with this new version I've been experiencing slow processes. I can notice that the software takes a a lot of time starting, and the track bouncing has been much slower.

Are you sure about this? Perhaps you changed your latency settings to make it lower - if so bounces would be slower.
If anything startup is slightly faster in this release if you have lots of 32 bit plugins. How many plugins do you have installed?

1 hour ago, Apeirofobia said:

I can notice that the software takes a a lot of time starting, and the track bouncing has been much slower.

Sounds like possibly Windows Defender Realtime Scanning got enabled. It will scan files on launch, and any time a new one is created by rendering, which can radically slow things down. I had this happen spontaneously once (quite a while ago), and it had me scratching my head until I discovered the process reading tons of files when opening a project as revealed by Windows Resource Monitor. That would be a good place to start looking in any case.

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Are you sure about this? Perhaps you changed your latency settings to make it lower - if so bounces would be slower.
If anything startup is slightly faster in this release if you have lots of 32 bit plugins. How many plugins do you have installed?

Update: It was just a coincidence. I've been working perfectly fine with CbB today.

• Like 1

Dear dev team, there is one minor thing I'd like to mention, it's consistency of the docking module position. I'm not sure if it's intentional by design or "bug".

Open the basic template. We are now in the first screen set. Undock and close the help module. Insert "Synth rack view" on bottom right position (docked replacing the help module). Now we have "Media browser" on top right, and "synth rack view" on bottom right.

Press B to collapse the whole docking panel.

Select other screen set.

Then go back to first screen set where we have collapsed docking panel. Press B to expand the docking panel.

The synth rack is now moved to the top right, while the Media browser docked at bottom right.

It won't happen if we did not collapse the docking panel. Eg, if we keep the docking panel expanded before changing the screen set, the docking module position is kept in the same order.

It goes like that since long long time ago (pre Sonar platinum I guess).

I hope the dev team can re-produce the symptom and see what's going on.

Big big THANKS!!! 🙂

PS. Apology if it's not actualy related to the 2019.09 Early Access update.

Edited by James Argo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, James Argo said:

Dear dev team, there is one minor thing I'd like to mention, it's consistency of the docking module position. I'm not sure if it's intentional by design or "bug".

Open the basic template. We are now in the first screen set. Undock and close the help module. Insert "Synth rack view" on bottom right position (docked replacing the help module). Now we have "Media browser" on top right, and "synth rack view" on bottom right.

Select other screen set.

Then go back to first screen set where we have collapsed docking panel. Press B to expand the docking panel.

The synth rack is now moved to the top right, while the Media browser docked at bottom right.

It won't happen if we did not collapse the docking panel. Eg, if we keep the docking panel expanded before changing the screen set, the docking module position is kept in the same order.

Big big THANKS!!! 🙂

Thanks for the report. I've managed to reproduce the problem, and have logged it. Hopefully we'll get to it in the next release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, James Argo said:

Select other screen set.

Big big THANKS!!! 🙂

this post is a great example of how to share "steps to reproduce" when reporting an issue 👌

• Like 4