Help needed with installing the older Sonar plugins .......

grrr_me_scary

I am planning to use CbB as a replacement for my X2 and Platinum, however, I would like to install any old Sonar plugins that have been included in the previous versions that I purchased over the years, and since I own many versions of Sonar then I need to know 

1) How do I install the older plugins into CbB?

In the past, I could just use the CD/DVD to custom install the plugins (I could select something like "install plugins only") but I have just been purchasing the online access to my Cakewalk account at the old site so this option never comes up during the download/install process, so I need directions on where in this process can I just install the plugins (I believe I can just click on any item from the list I provided for Platinum but it's the older versions of Sonar that don't seem to have separate links for these types of items).

2) How far back should I go for plugins? I own Platinum, X2 Producer, X1 Expanded, X1 Producer, 8.5 LE, 7 Producer, and several much older versions (I even own Cakewalk, lol).  

Thank you ahead of time for any guidance, tips, suggestions, etc.....   :-)

3) Should I make sure that I include any items from this list? I believe I can just click on any of the links there and install them for CbB but I haven't tried it yet.

1846065403_PlatinumIncludedItems.JPG.457593912756424e0b99d9e641de9e62.JPG

4) Should I install the "X2 Additional Content"?  The word "additional" stands out to me here so I was wondering if there was something "additional" that I would get from installing it (I noticed that X1 has a similar link as well).

49397990_X2AdditionalContent.JPG.b300ccb3e82933d7af5d923c144ced5f.JPG

5) Is there anything in Sonar X1 Expanded? What about 7 Producer (I have the CD for that one)?

6) What about Rapture Session, Melodyne Essential, XLN Audio Addictive Drums 2 Producer, Free Rock Legends Kit 3 for Session Drummer 3, Rapture 1.22, Rapture Windows 1.22.0, Beatscape, Dimension Pro 1.5 and Dimension Pro 1.5 Expansion Pack?

Edited by grrr_me_scary

SONAR installers are the same whether on disk or downloaded. Installers from X3 and older have an advanced install option to select plug-ins to install. Since CbB is 64bit, select the 64bit option on the SONAR installer. IIRC, this option happens before the basic/advanced install option.

SONAR Platinum installers are different. Some of them require SONAR Platinum be installed to run. The current recommendation from BandLab is install all of Platinum before CbB.

If you want V-Vocal,  it requires a minimal installation of X2 Producer or older. This should be done before installing Platinum.

Xtyprss.gif

Personally, I stopped with an advanced install of X1 Producer Expanded. If you want the Lexicon Pantheon you will need an advanced install of 8.5 Producer. How far back one restores depends on the plug-ins used by the projects to be opened. That said, the sequence of installs does not matter except when actually installing the DAW, advanced installs to get plug-ins can happen any time. When trying to open very old projects made with 32bit DX plug-in will require a 32bit version of SONAR. This may happen any time because it does not affect CbB.

I see some additions items were added to the OP after I posted.

Install ALL of SONAR Platinum. Preferably before CbB.

You may want to defer adding an advanced install of SONAR 7 until you encounter a plug-in missing from a project. If 32bit SONAR and Cakewalk plug-ins were used, chances are there will be some 32bit DX plug-in which were never ported to 64bit in the projects. If this is the case, consider adding a 32bit install of Platinum to ease migration to 64bit.

A plug-in history of SONAR Producer/Platinum may be found in this thread

Melodyne Essential should be installed using the installer from your Celemony Account

XLN also has their own installer. It should be used to add AD2.

The latest versions of Dim Pro, Rapture Classic (v1.22), their expansion packs and Rapture Session are all in Cakewalk Command Center. Install Rapture Session after DIm Pro and Rapture Classic. These are the latest versions of these synths. They are are not part of CbB.

Installing Beatscape is a personal choice. I skipped it. Aside from being 32bit, it was buggy. The Beatscape content was repackaged in X2/3 as Loops and One Shots.

Most of the "Additional Content" is redundant. Installing the last version of SONAR should be adequate.

Install any bonus items as you see fit. Often they were added to the Cakewalk accounts.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this post and the replies! You save me a bunch of time as I was about to ask almost all the same questions. 👍

Now off to see how much of it I can recover.

I particularly really miss the Lexicon reverb and I have about 20 projects that used the Free Rock Legends Kit 3 for Session Drummer 3.  

Edited by Adam Puchalski

This is a good discussion.  I was always confused with the upgrades.  For example they put the prochannel plugIns on sale, and the soft tube saturatur came along with a few other pieces of equipment before X2 and I ordered that so I'm assuming that was made permanent at some point.  It would be nice if someone who was good at managing the history of sonars parts that came were documented.  If we had every available item what would they be?  It took me a long time to comprehend all the parts that come in Cakewalk, but the history is somewhat confusing.  I had up to X3 but I always upgraded during that series.  But I'm not sure of all the extras.  You have Prochannels, Regional FX, Vst,'s DXPlugIns, Is it worth adding in VVocal?  or is Melodyne a good substitue.  the DreamVST,  Some other things too.  But at this point I think we have the kitchen sink.  Also if you are just starting out on synths there is Cobalt VST and  Kawai K3 vst which are very simple to use.