Red Alert: Total Lunar Eclipse affecting No & So America - January 21, 2019

TheSteven

There will be a total lunar eclipse coming our way, beginning on Sunday, January 20 2019, and lasting into the 21st!

1_11.png?itok=oXny6wHF

The darkest shaded areas of the globe are where the entire eclipse is visible from start to finish. Moving outward from that region, portions of the eclipse are visible.

Where can I see it?

Totality of this lunar eclipse can be seen and experienced everywhere in the Western Hemisphere, as well as extreme Northern Asia, Ireland, England, and portions of France, Spain, and Scandinavia.

When will this event be taking place?

The eclipse will begins on January 21, 2019 at 0236 GMT and will end at 0748 GMT. For those who don’t want to convert GMT to our time zone(s), the eclipse will run from 9:30 p.m., on Sunday, January 20, 2019 until 2:45 a.m. on Monday, January 21, 2019, for those on US Eastern Standard Time.

2-7_trvphoto_227-0155.jpg?itok=G7P3X-se

Why will this be happening?

The moon will pass through the Earth’s shadow on the far side of the Sun. When that happens, the moon will appear red (what is known as a Blood Moon) and get very dark before emerging from the shadow on the other side.

For more info check out:
B&H Eclipse Info

• Like 3

• TheSteven changed the title to Red Alert: Total Lunar Eclipse affecting No & So America - January 21, 2019

Thanks Steven for the info. I forgot about this happening.

I have a telescope and have always liked looking at the stars. But the moon is my fav. I can just watch it again and again. I have watched the lunar eclipse back in the mid/late 90's or early 2000's. Just can't remember when. But it did last much longer than I anticipated. Was a very stunning sight to watch the shadow move across the moon surface through a telescope.

So with this lunar eclipse, I will be on my days off! Just hope the weather cooperates here in southern Louisiana.

One of the great things about the moon is that it's fun just to look at it through a regular old pair of 10X, 50mm  binoculars. You can see dozens of craters all at once that way. Almost feels like you're there. 👽

All that is needed for those with no telescope is a pair of binoculars. Find a nice relaxing place and sit back and enjoy. Watching the moon with a pair of binoculars is nice, and all that is really needed for most. At the different phases of the moon you can see the lighted tops of mountains/craters in the dark areas of the moon. Look along the line that separates the dark/light side of moon and you will see it. And it changes each day. Really fascinating stuff.

Hot cocoa sounds like it will be in order. The tail end of that big northeastern blizzard will make it down here and Sunday is supposed to be the coldest night of the year. It normally goes into the upper 60s or 70s here at night, but Sunday night they are predicting 50s or 40s and then a warming back to normal.

I know that doesn't sound cold to people who live in the north, but it's 80 right now, and that's a big dip in temperature.

I've seen a number of full lunar eclipses, and I never get tired of them. So if I don't return, send out the Saint Bernard dogs with a full keg of brandy !!!

Notes

• Haha 1

Winter Storm Hooper  or whatever obliterated any hope for me. but it was fun to watch the Weather channel's dedicated team of twenty or so intrepid reporters, as they brought us up close and personal coverage of this historic event. I mean the storm. I think we got about 10 inches. Hardly even worth plowing. But I shall never forget that brave reporter who battled the fierce elements, so he could tell us that a dusting of snow had accumulated in Boston, but of course they were anticipating much more...

I got lucky! It was cold but it was clear. I was able to watch with my telescope from the beginning till just past total. Then I went to bed. When I started picking thing up, there was frost all over my stuff!! It was cold! But a beautiful site. My wife had never seen it though a telescope.