Sonar X2 has a crackling sound BUT Plat and CbB sounds fine ......

grrr_me_scary

I own almost all the previous versions of Sonar and I did install CbB back when it was 1st announced as a free continuation of Sonar, but I have been kept busy with work and other things, so I haven't really used it since we have X2 at the practice studio (the drummer's place) and we hadn't practiced/recorded there for a long time (a little over a year).

However, we went to a studio about 4 months ago where they recorded us on Sonar X3, so they rekindled that spark again for home recordings and I finally have the time to start the process again.

Well, I reopened some old recordings and I found that there was a crackling sound (a slightly woofy sound like blown speakers) in X2  on EVERY recording where this was no issue in Plat or CbB.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this issue in the past.

I figured I would just keep using Plat and CbB and retire the X2 program instead of spending any real time trying to determine what the issue is here (I don't believe you could hear any kind of crackling at my drummer's place when we listened back to the recordings there (however, different computers, different operating systems, etc.....).

I am still curious to hear if anyone else had ever come across this problem (I feel like I did encounter it years ago and I fixed it but I don't remember what I did to fix it).

I wouldn't worry to troubleshoot this, especially since CbB is free. The only thing I carried forward from X2 was R-Mix, which you can do by a custom installation of X2 (just install components you want).

X2 was not updated as aggressively as X1 or X3, so do not worry to lose anything by shifting to CbB.

@mettelus , yeah, I am sure it's probably computer specific since it wasn't making the crackling sound on our newer studio computer (and I can check at a later time on my home studio computer (identical to the studio one)), however, I am just going to fully embrace Plat and CbB (I had only stayed with X2 for recording since I had taught the drummer how to use it and I would have to start over with him on Plat and CbB).

@Byron Dickens, lol, yes, I agree :-)

Mostly, my curiosity and OCD compelled me to ask about it since I always like to know what is the cause of technical problems.

Thanks again for the replies :-)

Edited by grrr_me_scary