Drag clip with it's automation???

jono grant

I used to be able to grab a clip in sonar, drag it somewhere and the automation would move as well (unless I chose not to select automation with clips)

New cakewalk doesn't move the track automation any more! What's going on???

I don't want to use some cut special thing, way too complicated. Just want to select clip or clips with their automation and drag them somewhere all together.

What am I doing wrong?? They wouldn't remove that ability would they?

Thanks

Jono

Clip envelopes move with the clips, that's fine. It's track envelopes, even if I select "select track envelopes with clips" they don't move if I drag the clip.

Here's a video of this in BL Cakewalk and then in Sonar X1 (where it works)

There must be a way to do this in one step. I'm sure many people want to "move" a clip and they would want their automation nodes to move with it.

I don't see this problem. As long as Select track envelopes with clips is selected it will move the data irrespective of whether lanes are open or not.

Can you reproduce this in a new project? If not please send a link to the CWP file so we can try and reproduce it.

The only change we made in 07 was this:

Moving clips in take lanes no longer modifies track automation by default. If you want track automation to follow when you drag a clip in a take lane, drop the clip on the parent track (comp clip) instead of a take lane.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I don't see this problem. As long as Select track envelopes with clips is selected it will move the data irrespective of whether lanes are open or not.

Can you reproduce this in a new project? If not please send a link to the CWP file so we can try and reproduce it.

The only change we made in 07 was this:

Thanks Noel, I'll attach a CWP with a clip all set up etc. Also, here's a short video of me showing the problem: (PS. I'm still on Win 8.1, I feel like some of the issues I'm having might relate to that? Not Sure.

move track automation with clip test.zip

HI:)

I've had yesterday the problem with dettaching controller on a lane. It showed the right controller but was not attached to it. I was not able to record automation after reloading a project.  After selecting it again in the drop down menu of the lane, all worked fine again.

Now that I'm loading the project, the problem exists again. After loading the controllers of the automation lanes are greyed out and when I switch Write Mode there's no red angle around, instead a green. Hmmmm making a screenshot!

No, after loading second and third time all is OK, looking after it tomorrow, the wheather is very fine here, I'm going out today for a long bycicle ride.

Try to select the automation controller again (should be marked with a *) in the drop down menu of the lane and try moving or copying again.

Bassman.

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

@jono grant I tried your project file and the automation does move when the edit filter is set to clips and lanes are collapsed.
Are you sure that you have your track options "Select Track Envelopes with Clips" checked? See attached picture.
If that is not enabled then it will not move envelopes when you drag clips.

Can you verify this please? This should not have anything to do with Win 8 BTW.

TrackAuto.png

• Like 1

Seriously though Juno, I wouldn't have downloaded your project, tested it, uploaded the video if I wasn't trying to help you.

sometimes things go beyond my spec. Wish I had an answer for you.

The only link between our set ups I can confirm is I don't have X1 installed on my PC. I have Sonar Platinum and up (Bandlab). So that I could not test. Does it happen in every single project you are using ?

EDIT- Something else I just took note of in your video is you are using the Tools HUD to access the Edit filter (switch back and forth between Automation and Clip). Have you tried using the Track Edit filter instead (Like I did in my video) ?  Just looking to replicate every step in order to find a bug if there is one.

Edited by Chuck E Baby

7 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Seriously though Juno, I wouldn't have downloaded your project, tested it, uploaded the video if I wasn't trying to help you.

sometimes things go beyond my spec. Wish I had an answer for you.

The only link between our set ups I can confirm is I don't have X1 installed on my PC. I have Sonar Platinum and up (Bandlab). So that I could not test. Does it happen in every single project you are using ?

EDIT- Something else I just took note of in your video is you are using the Tools HUD to access the Edit filter (switch back and forth between Automation and Clip). Have you tried using the Track Edit filter instead (Like I did in my video) ?  Just looking to replicate every step in order to find a bug if there is one.

I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it very much! I was just saying "what should I look for in a global setting?" is all. I went through all the settings in preferences turning stuff on and off and testing again, no change.

I have Platinum as well and the problem doesn't exist there either, only in the Bandlab version. The one major difference I see, is that in both X1 and Platinum, when a track is set to "clips" it still shows a very faint image of the envelope on top of the clip and when you select a clip , you can see that the envelope also gets selected. In Bandlab however, the clip does not show the faint image of the envelope and the envelope does not get selected along with the clip UNLESS you expand the automation lanes, then it works as it should. I thought it might have something to do with x-ray but it didn't.

I also tried using the track filter to switch back and forth, it didn't make a difference. I think that has the same function as the tools HUD but wanted to make sure.

I wonder what it could be? Video card related? No idea. All my versions of CW (plat x1 and BL) have the same global settings as far as the way I set them up...

I've attached a short video showing my preferences/settings in BL.