Overlapping clips in take lanes

Chance K

Question

Is there a setting somewhere where you can tell Bandlab to always use different take lanes for overlapping clips? I'm not talking about live recording, I'm talking about moving clips around on the timeline with d&d or cut/copy/paste. 

Often I overlap clips  in an audio track, then when I open the take lanes, even though Sonar may have created a bunch of take lanes, I'll have  a single take lane with overlapping clips in it. This defeats the whole purpose of take lanes for me. I know take lanes have lots of other uses for comping, etc, but I just want to be able to access non-overlapped clips that overlap in the track.

5 answers to this question

I forget offhand, but you used to be able to Ctrl-click overlapping takes to promote both into the master track, but I never tried to adjust timing on them once they were there (that operation might very well select one or the other on you). I can see that as a very frustrating event for you, so would recommend adding a track below where you are working and drag/dropping the overlaps into that new track (you can also Ctrl-drag FX bin down, but if you have complex routing that could get frustrating as well). If such a situation applies, you can use the second (or more) tracks to adjust your audio, print them (bounce those tracks, sans FX into a new one), then shift-drag that back into the original track.

Your preferred workflow and depth into the project will all come into play for such a situation, but I would keep overlaps on separate tracks (if anticipate future edits), or outright bounce them once edited.

3 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Do you have "Create new lanes on overlap" checked in preferences ?

Dialogs2.067.1.png

Yes, but that's a Record option, not what I'm looking for. I want Cake to place clips in separate lanes when editing would cause clips to overlap. AFAIK this is supposed to be the default behavior, and sometimes Cake will place overlapped clips in their own lane as one expects, but other times  not. Perhaps it's a bug.

Edited by D Chance Gold
expanded response

6 hours ago, D Chance Gold said:

want Cake to place clips in separate lanes when editing would cause clips to overlap. AFAIK this is supposed to be the default behavior, and sometimes Cake will place overlapped clips in their own lane as one expects, but other times  not. Perhaps it's a bug.

Although I have encountered some inconsistent behavior  in vairous situations over the years, I believe it's still generally the case that new lanes will be created on overlap (assuming drag and drop mode is Blend) only if lanes are not showing.  If lanes are showing, it's presumed that you want things to go where you drop them, and if you want a different lane, you'll create one.

15 hours ago, David Baay said:

Although I have encountered some inconsistent behavior  in vairous situations over the years, I believe it's still generally the case that new lanes will be created on overlap (assuming drag and drop mode is Blend) only if lanes are not showing.  If lanes are showing, it's presumed that you want things to go where you drop them, and if you want a different lane, you'll create one.

Yes it does generally work as designed, but it's not uncommon for Cake to overlap clips in take lanes -- I wish I knew the specific cases that cause it to happen. When doing d&d If take lanes are showing, Cake forces you to drop the clip on a take lane. I guess this is a workaround to insure you get overlapping clips in their own lanes.